Second Skin Audio

help with figuring out what subs to use

walledkota

This is the amp I have hooked up in my truck.

http://www.abt.com/mobile/product_details.php?product_id=33260

Its a Sony XMGTR2022 2ohm 2ch and I can't seem to keep subs it melts voice coils 3 diff subs in less than a month. 2 15s and a 10. I'm just trying to find a couple subs to run and won't melt down and fill my cab up with the smell of burnt voice coils

What ohm load did you have the subs at? Are you using bass boost and where is your gain set at?

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

on the qpower black mamba 15 dvc 4ohm i had the gain about half way up and bass boost a little over half way with the xover set to 50hz sub was wired in parallel bridged.

The pyramid 15 800 watt max 400 rms svc 4 ohm the same settings on the amp and bridged.

Pioneer 10 1100 watt max 250 rms svc 4 ohm and I turned the gain down to about 1/3 and the bass boost the same bridged also

You need to find a way to set your gain properly and determine the distortion point of your source unit. Clipping is guaranteed what killed your subs and unless you find a way to tune your system properly you're most likely going to continue blowing your gear. Also don't use bass boost at all ever and set your low pass a little higher than 50 unless you have really good mid bass speakers that can dig that low I'd set it to 80.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

While there is probably nothing wrong with that Boston Acoustics sub, but for a few bucks more you can get something like a Sundown Sa-15 which is a much better sub. There are lots of other good subs in that price range as well.

Without knowing the specs on your box it's impossible to say if it is contributing to your problems or not. I strongly suspect it is not your main problem though. Most likely your are clipping the hell out of your subs and that is why you are burning them up. Saying your gain is only set about "half way" is completely meaningless.

Unless you want to keep replacing equipment you need to find the means to set your gains properly. The right way is with a DD-1 or an o-scope. Find someone who has one of those or get your own. You can get a scope for only $60 and it would be money well spent.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I think that the box I have are the problems. Too small and subs got too hot.

pretty sure you are clipping. No sony amp will burn your coils if the gain is set properly.

Btw 2ohm two channel? Are you running the woofer in stereo? Turn the gain down or buy an amp that outputs a clean signal. 4 ohm bridge will give you 437watts rms.

They will sound clean as fuck. If you are looking to be loud,start with a higher powered amp. If you want musical music then go with the Boston's, i will advise you shop around though,boston went out of business so some online sales are cheap.

Archived