94 GMC Serria Z71 Trailmaster

bcbrassard

So my 23 yr old son just picked up this real clean Z71 up a couple weeks ago. He is the 3rd owner and it has 138k on it. This truck is 100% there with great up keep from previous owners. It is the best vehicle he has owned to date and with this Trailmaster package the interior is really nice but now its time to start planning a system and if i am involved i would like a real nice SQ sounding system for a daily driver.

Someone at some point added door and rear speakers to the system so i will have to work this some of whats been done so we dont have to replace interior panels.

He is also deciding on keeping the back seat in, if we do the subs will mostly likely be 8s under the seat ported facing and firing forward.

Anyway pics to give you an idea of what we are working with so the SQ guys can chime in with ideas.

IMG_1751_zps32f7a762.jpg

We plan to wash and buff everything real soon to make it shine.

IMG_1752_zpsde4a2df9.jpgI wish they hadnt put these door speakers in. Now we'll have to use the location, good thing is there are 5.25s so good for midrange but i really wanted to fiber glass pods on the dash where the stock speakers are for 5.25s and Tweeters.

IMG_1753_zps48442d5c.jpgAs you can see interior is really nice. Seats are a little worn but nothing to terrible.

IMG_1754_zpsb5944e2c.jpgClean roof with Map lighting.

IMG_1755_zpsfb2d1f43.jpgRear 5.25s are Linear series junk that will have to be upgreaded as well.

IMG_1757_zps973c7a15.jpgBack seat space we have to work with. Seen a build where a enclosure with 4 Sundown 8s under there in a ported box looked nice.

IMG_1756_zpsbf465840.jpgSo if he keeps the seat thats the direction we'll go maybe.

IMG_1758_zps181b88d3.jpg

Rear speakers with the adaptor plate someone made. Should be good for rear fill.

IMG_1759_zps13b737c1.jpgClean Dash, New HU will have to go where Tape deck & EQ is. I would go with a 80-PRS myself, Or other HU that can TA and EQ well. I know Kenwood has a great model HU out as well. But being a kid he's talk about a flip out screen which i know shit about and am against. Tunes should be tunes and not a movie experience IMO.

IMG_1760_zps4a6d315a.jpgI dont see any reason to mess with headliner as it looks pretty darn nice.

IMG_1761_zpsbb74054e.jpgDriver door with some older low end clarions in it. Not sure what they did with the tweeter hole above it until the truck gets a tear down.

well thats all the pics i have for now. Build idea time. We are looking for some 8" mid bass drivers in the Kick panels too. Not sure if it will be a passive or Active set up. Leaning more toward Passive.

Maybe some 3-way Morel or Hertz up front with 6.5 midbass in the kick panels. Open to ideas.

Of course stock electrical will be upgrade to handle 3k + Budget 4-5k build time 6-8 months.

Just looking for ideas and suggestions from the pros.

Thanks SMD guru's.

Junk yard panels are cheap may be an option

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Hat center console looks like a good candidate for amps too. Dual batts under the hood yep easy. 1200 watt substage 4 8s and a 4channel. Easy cheap clean

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Yes to some 3 ways up front. Where the Clarions are now, take the wood off and build a pod to cover that whole cloth area from the pocket up to the wood with the switches in it. Can fit one or two 6.5s there and use your original plan on the dash. Kicks are okay for mids, not as good as a door for mid bass. Free enclosure.

I agree with N8 about amps in the console, nice and easy.

Edit: for now you can paint the tweeter delete plates or wrap them in vinyl to match. Could even take the wood from by the woofer and shape it to fit that area, then re-varnish it to match.

Static drops are my bag.

Junk yard panels are cheap may be an option

Live in alasks so nothings cheap and these year truck are trashed up here. This trucks in really great shape. Trying to keep the look it has now.

I have owned several GMT 400s, and I like to believe I am a sort of enthusiast for them. I have never seen a trailamster package before. Good find. As for panels I got an entire interior for my old single cab for a junkyard for a whopping $40 I think.

Randall will get in here soon and he will let you know what's up.

Yes to some 3 ways up front. Where the Clarions are now, take the wood off and build a pod to cover that whole cloth area from the pocket up to the wood with the switches in it. Can fit one or two 6.5s there and use your original plan on the dash. Kicks are okay for mids, not as good as a door for mid bass. Free enclosure.

Edit: for now you can paint the tweeter delete plates or wrap them in vinyl to match. Could even take the wood from by the woofer and shape it to fit that area, then re-varnish it to match.

Ya i really dont want to mess with the door much at this point. Midbass vented into the body will be the plan if we go the kick panel route.

I do like the amps in the center console if they will fit. other wise behind the rear seats. All still in the infancy stage of ideas.

I have owned several GMT 400s, and I like to believe I am a sort of enthusiast for them. I have never seen a trailamster package before. Good find. As for panels I got an entire interior for my old single cab for a junkyard for a whopping $40 I think.

Not up here your not. LOL I dont want to redo the whole interior because of a couple holes in the doors. Yes the trailmaster package is a different look. I think he paid $5k for the truck. all stock and clean everywhere! good deal for here.

Ya i really dont want to mess with the door much at this point. Midbass vented into the body will be the plan if we go the kick panel route.

I do like the amps in the center console if they will fit. other wise behind the rear seats. All still in the infancy stage of ideas.

Just figured for simplicity sake you're killing two birds with one stone by making simple door pods. You're going to have to cover that area with something eventually. We've done dual 6.5s in that area bunches of times over the years. The right ones on a ton of power sound awesome. We've run them down to 40Hz on 250x2 for a guy because he didn't want a sub.

That Trailmaster package was done aftermarket by a conversion van company like A&J or Monroe or someone like that (possibly even a company called Trailmaster…). They buy woodgrain kits, visors, running boards, leather kits or in this case seats, bug shields, etc. and install them as a package, them sell them to dealerships.

Static drops are my bag.

thanks for the info but i want a clean system and we are not fiber glassing on the doors. The kick panels or dash where as far as i was will to go at this time.

Archived