Second Skin Audio

Mods and the whole community: List of local box builders?

philrab

To the mods: I was wondering aloud to myself looking at the SMD Tools map why we don't have a similar resource for reputable and knowledgeable local box builders on this site. Several times I've seen someone that needs help building a box, or flat out needs one built, and it's always a goat roap trying to find someone local to them that can fulfil that need. If we had a map of local box builders, that seams like a more efficient way to handle it.

BUT, I don't know if that will run afoul of the board's rules. It could be perceived as freely advertising services for hire. On the other hand, plenty of people myself included have included a fee for gain setting on the SMD Tools map which seams fair for their time. I could see that both ways. So, if that's an issue feel free to close this thread down. I'm spitballing here, not trying to step on toes.

To the community: If the mods support this idea, how the Hell do we insure that the box builders that want to be added to the map:

A. Are actually regular board members, and not some knucklhead that signed up for an account JUST to advertise. Perhaps impose the same rules as we hold in the FS section? Minimum post count? Some other criteria?

B. Are knowledgeable and proficient, and not just idiots slapping stuff together out of plywood and nails scamming people? Post examples of work to demonstrate their level? How do you insure that it's THEIR work and not something they swiped a pic off the net?

Again, I'm spitballing here. I'd welcome everyone's comments or concerns.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

To the mods: I was wondering aloud to myself looking at the SMD Tools map why we don't have a similar resource for reputable and knowledgeable local box builders on this site. Several times I've seen someone that needs help building a box, or flat out needs one built, and it's always a goat roap trying to find someone local to them that can fulfil that need. If we had a map of local box builders, that seams like a more efficient way to handle it.

BUT, I don't know if that will run afoul of the board's rules. It could be perceived as freely advertising services for hire. On the other hand, plenty of people myself included have included a fee for gain setting on the SMD Tools map which seams fair for their time. I could see that both ways. So, if that's an issue feel free to close this thread down. I'm spitballing here, not trying to step on toes.

To the community: If the mods support this idea, how the Hell do we insure that the box builders that want to be added to the map:

A. Are actually regular board members, and not some knucklhead that signed up for an account JUST to advertise. Perhaps impose the same rules as we hold in the FS section? Minimum post count? Some other criteria?

B. Are knowledgeable and proficient, and not just idiots slapping stuff together out of plywood and nails scamming people? Post examples of work to demonstrate their level? How do you insure that it's THEIR work and not something they swiped a pic off the net?

Again, I'm spitballing here. I'd welcome everyone's comments or concerns.

i don't mind a map of box builders in the area......but it's a fine line with doing that and promoting someone's side business here for free. It also puts us in a position where we have to decide if that person is good or not. You will have people asking to be on the list that have no business building boxes for themselves let alone for the public. I think a list or map of local box designers that will help for FREE would be ok but i don't think it's a good idea to have a bunch of people to be profiting off of my website with free advertisement and in the end the customer ends up with a crap box. It might even be a good box but doesn't sound right in THAT vehicle...now we gotta battle to deal with. I've seen it. I wouldn't be against actual member-sellers (who pay very little), that can build or design a quality box to be on a map or some sort of list though.

On the other hand, if it is a "map" of box builders with big huge bold letters at the top that makes it clear they will build the box (or design it) for FREE and at your own risk, i got no problem with that. :)

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

I will build boxes to your measurements. Westerville Ohio area. You buy material. Professional cabinet and furniture maker here. This is not my trade. (Subwoofer Furniture).

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

I think what would be most helpful to the community would be a list off anyone members have dealt with who design or build boxes and some kind of feedback//rating system. Of course that doesn't help SM pay the bills, but only promoting box builders based on the fact that they pay a monthly advertising fee doesn't necessarily mean they're any good.

I think what would be most helpful to the community would be a list off anyone members have dealt with who design or build boxes and some kind of feedback//rating system. Of course that doesn't help SM pay the bills, but only promoting box builders based on the fact that they pay a monthly advertising fee doesn't necessarily mean they're any good.

It's not about me "paying the bills". It is about people using this site to do side-work and make extra money. If they want to do it for free and have a good rep, that sounds ok with me is all i am saying. Just like i cannot go to any forum worth a damn on the net and start advertising my products and services. Also, all of our partners, vendors and member-sellers are not just tossed in to the pool for the extra money it generates....we put a lot of thought into who makes the cut. So to be a member-seller and sell your boxes here, you will be looked at a lot closer than someone just slapping a map up and adding whoever asks to be on it.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

It's not about me "paying the bills". It is about people using this site to do side-work and make extra money. If they want to do it for free and have a good rep, that sounds ok with me is all i am saying. Just like i cannot go to any forum worth a damn on the net and start advertising my products and services. Also, all of our partners, vendors and member-sellers are not just tossed in to the pool for the extra money it generates....we put a lot of thought into who makes the cut. So to be a member-seller and sell your boxes here, you will be looked at a lot closer than someone just slapping a map up and adding whoever asks to be on it.

Steve, I think you and I are on the same page here, and the reason I addressed this to the Mods (and you) was because I see that concern and I respect it. That's the question, is there a need for this and can it be done in such a way that YOU are comfortable with it. This is your site, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Honestly, I'd expect anyone trying to make a few bucks box builder to go for a reasonable fee (and reasonable is going to be subject to a LOT of personal opinion on both sides). Can't expect to profit off someone else's site for nothing. How you identify who has their head on straight vs. up their behinds, I have no earthly idea. It may be an idea that simply isn't worth the potential headaches to be caused by it. The last thing I want to see if this community have it's credibility tarnished.

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Also thinking IF you stipulated it was to be a map for pro-bono work only, how long would it take for some shithead to abuse the system, get his name out, and try to start charging people on the DL. Lot of honor system involved in this sort of thing all the way around, and it seams honor is severely lacking these days.

Build Thread

I will build boxes to your measurements. Westerville Ohio area. You buy material. Professional cabinet and furniture maker here. This is not my trade. (Subwoofer Furniture).

Personally, in my local area, I've extended the invitation for someone that wants to learn to take them in, show them the process, and help them build if they bring materials and do their fair share of the work. Have also offered local builders taking on a big project to come in and lend a hand, either for free (for the experience, always something to learn) or for gas and a meal.

I would not, however, build a box for someone out of my pocket for free. My wife/checking account would tire of that REALLY quickly.

Build Thread

Archived