Second Skin Audio

inverted sealed 8"

Motorboat KER

hey guys. buddy wants a box for an 8". He wants it to slide into the false floor im building him.

My max height is 2.75". So basically I will have:

_____ Subwoofer mounted inverted

|____| 0.75" MDF (height)

|____| 1.25" Airspace (height)

|____| 0.75" MDF (height)

He wants sealed so it is more musical over a ported. Subs are the SKAR IVX8 so excursion wont be a problem hitting the bottom or anything like that.

Will it stil sound nice even thought it will be a shallow (but wide) box?

A sealed box is not more musical the a ported. A ported box can be more musical with a good design.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

A sealed box is not more musical the a ported. A ported box can be more musical with a good design.

x2

I wish the whole "sealed is more musical" thing would go away, but I don't have a lot of hope.

In regards to your particular situation though, I would think you would be fine with you have planned. Another thing you could do to save space is build it out of thinner material. I know it sounds like blasphemy, but in this case you would probably be able to build it out of 1/2" material if you braced it properly. It would gain you another 1/2" of space in front of the sub. If you used baltic birch ply (which is MUCH stiffer than MDF) and braced it I'm just about sure you would be fine, but I'd have to see what you have in mind for a design.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Maybe

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Maybe

Its a matter of install. I've seen sq builds on here with ported boxes ad some if the seamed to be winning trophies with them for sq.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Maybe

Its a matter of install. I've seen sq builds on here with ported boxes ad some if the seamed to be winning trophies with them for sq.

This gets way past what people use for builds. You have to have the exact right port placement as the port will always radiate with the same frequency and it's resonances. While you do not get that in sealed and get a pure single wave.

I personally haven't heard any ported enclosure that I feel as being up to par with sealed and other types of enclosures for sound quality. I believe this to be the same with any other enclosure with wave manipulation to increase output at any frequency.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

This gets way past what people use for builds. You have to have the exact right port placement as the port will always radiate with the same frequency and it's resonances. While you do not get that in sealed and get a pure single wave.

I personally haven't heard any ported enclosure that I feel as being up to par with sealed and other types of enclosures for sound quality. I believe this to be the same with any other enclosure with wave manipulation to increase output at any frequency.

There are plenty of very high-end systems that use ported enclosures. For a mere $10K you can have these:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/803-Diamond.html

Now I know there are a world of differences between those I linked and what we put in our cars, but the concepts are still the same. If sealed was so technically superior you wouldn't see them so widely used. The fact that both ported and sealed (and other configurations) all are being used so widely demonstrates that each has its merits and can perform well if executed properly.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

There are plenty of very high-end systems that use ported enclosures. For a mere $10K you can have these:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/803-Diamond.html

Now I know there are a world of differences between those I linked and what we put in our cars, but the concepts are still the same. If sealed was so technically superior you wouldn't see them so widely used. The fact that both ported and sealed (and other configurations) all are being used so widely demonstrates that each has its merits and can perform well if executed properly.

Each enclosure has its job, I just don't prefer MOST ported systems for music.

The main reason is because ports are a hazard to work with and everything affects them away from your calculations then to find one that is correct costs a pretty penny.

I know you have done very well with your systems you have built, but for me to accept ported for music will take some effort. This mostly comes from my very very scientific view upon music. So much in fact I will never recommend a tube amp as it alters the input wave in ways more than just the amplitude without choice to the user.

Archived