Sonic Electronix

engine ground to chasis

As others said

1. Alt pos to batt

2. Batt to chassis/frame

3. Alt case/mounting bolt to chassis /frame

4. Alt case/mounting bolt to batt (optional but a good idea giving you the big 4)

Some fuse the power wire some don't. I haven't fused mine but I will. Rather it be there and not needed rather then not gave it and need I.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I think what poorfish88 meant was, The ground wire on the Battery' is add a zero wire to where the wire already is. Your not taking your car apart doing so. A lot of good helpful people here and they wouldn't lead you in the wrong path bro. I love all the helpful people here. I thought I knew my shit until I join here. My 2 cents only is trying to help also. Oh did you take it back and make them do it ? If you paid for that serve you get what you paid them for. I understand and it's good your asking.

I always thought,

Alternator - pos on battery

Neg on battery - Chassis

Neg on battery - alt case or bolt or engine block

Is running a wire from the chassis to the alt case (or bolt or engine block) necessary?

Keeping in mind that the idea of the big 3 is to upgrade the return path to the alternator with as little resistance as possible... In most vehicles the frame/chassis is capable of carrying the most current. Now, in the rear of the vehicle the ideal grounding location for your amps and batteries is also the frame/chassis. That said, the best, most direct return path is frame/chassis to alt case.

Having it go through the battery means two extra terminations and longer wire. Current has to flow from amp neg through any other wires and terminals in the rear through the frame up to the front, into the distribution point on the battery and then to the alternator. Minimal difference if all is done right, but that's the idea.

Any vehicle I work on gets the battery, alt, body, starter and engine all grounded to a common point on the frame, usually passenger side. Then I run my rear grounds to the frame on the same side. Biggest difference is that I am using the best ground source as the hub for my grounds instead of the battery. The engine block, starter and body grounds in this case aren't necessary for audio purposes but it helps things like fuel injectors, power windows, quicker starts etc. and I just like to upgrade it all while im at it.

The source of ground in a car while running is the alt case.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

good info everyone. connections directly to alt are essential both postive and a ground to alt frame. adding to factory wiring locations is also good to make sure all circuits have optimum flow! overtime even the "well-engineered" factory ground can become corroded causing problems

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

just because the frame is grounded dont mean its a direct ground. direct ground would be the negative post on the battery.. the frame can also have bushings that can interfere with the path.. if you wire to the frame then from that same bolt to the alt then its almost the same as wiring it direct to the battery. but this time it will have to go through 2 runs of wire and 4 terminals that can also have resistance and not counting a few extra feet to run down to the frame and back up to the alt. on my impala the run to the battery is actually 2 feet. . im not saying the frame is a bad ground.. if done properly it can be more than you need.. just stating that the direct path would be the battery terminal not the frame.. either way its done is the correct way.

best direct path is battery to alternator not chassis to alternator. the frame is just a bridge for that path

10850302_775636639139934_871900284147614

1546239_775636609139937_4087403785554992

The frame is the common path for most/all ground on your car. It travels across the frame to the motor the to the alt.

Now if you where to run a neg front to back and ground the alt to the battery sure then that's a direct route.

With out ground runs it would travel further.

Amp > frame > front battery ground > alt case. That's 5 different connections.

Amp > frame > alt ground

3 connections.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Archived