reedal Posted January 5, 2015 Report Posted January 5, 2015 Stop telling people the wrong information. An extra battery helps a lot with a stock alternator. It's when you start adding multiple batteries with a stock alt is where you will have trouble. Please show me research showing that a 12 volt car battery will generate 14.4V (as most amps are rated at) when the alternator has more load than it can handle. It doesn't. A 12v car battery won't continue to hold a 14.4v charge. Once the alternator is not charging the battery any longer, it slowly drops to resting voltage does it not? Adding batteries helps you from dipping past battery resting voltage, it doesn't create voltage. It doesn't stop you dropping below 14.4 when you're trying to draw 100A and your stock alt is 80A max. I did not say it wouldn't help, and I didn't provide false information. I said it won't create power. And it won't. I'm not saying he needs to buy a high output alternator for 1000 watts. I'm saying for Miguel's to suggest a battery for 1000 watts when he has no information about the OP's electrical, that could be spending money that isn't necessary. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
khinds94 Posted January 5, 2015 Report Posted January 5, 2015 Stop telling people the wrong information. An extra battery helps a lot with a stock alternator. It's when you start adding multiple batteries with a stock alt is where you will have trouble.Please show me research showing that a 12 volt car battery will generate 14.4V (as most amps are rated at) when the alternator has more load than it can handle. It doesn't. A 12v car battery won't continue to hold a 14.4v charge. Once the alternator is not charging the battery any longer, it slowly drops to resting voltage does it not? Adding batteries helps you from dipping past battery resting voltage, it doesn't create voltage. It doesn't stop you dropping below 14.4 when you're trying to draw 100A and your stock alt is 80A max. I did not say it wouldn't help, and I didn't provide false information. I said it won't create power. And it won't. I'm not saying he needs to buy a high output alternator for 1000 watts. I'm saying for Miguel's to suggest a battery for 1000 watts when he has no information about the OP's electrical, that could be spending money that isn't necessary. I got you. I assumed he was upgrading power didn't mean to come off as a dick 03 Sable LS AA mayhem 12" D2 Sundown ZV4 12" D1 Tantric HD 12" D2 Tantric SHD 12" D1 Sundown X12 V2 D2 2.5 cu net Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm XS Power XP2000 Sky High Sound Deadener Sky High wire Stock alt
MalibuMaxxx Posted January 5, 2015 Author Report Posted January 5, 2015 I've got a 2005 malibu maxx hatchback and the cargo has 22.8 cubic feet but i plan on dividing with a false floor so the top can have small storage and bottom half is my system. I like the price and specs overview of the fi q 18. But if i can get the same outcome from something smaller i will take it.
reedal Posted January 5, 2015 Report Posted January 5, 2015 I would measure how much space you want available for storage, then measure what you have left over, give us (the forum) the available dimensions you can work with for enclosure/amp (battery if needed), what your budget is, what kind of power you want to run, what kind of sound you're looking to get (Quality, ground pound, spl) SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
MalibuMaxxx Posted January 6, 2015 Author Report Posted January 6, 2015 Took a few pics of the trunk. Not sure how to share with you guys thru my phone.
juan777 Posted January 6, 2015 Report Posted January 6, 2015 Took a few pics of the trunk. Not sure how to share with you guys thru my phone. post on photobucket and link here via the image button in the edit toolbar on top of where you write Personally I think you'll lose space with an 18, more than you want to lose So speaking purely on space and not brands: If you don't plan to go past 1Kwatts, do big 3 and find voltage drop at idle. If it stays above 13v (12.8V is pushing it) with lights and AC on you're OK. If not, get a HO alternator first. But you should be fine. My friend has a 80-90amp alternator and no volt drop on 1.2k but the amp is at 2ohms so that is helping a bit on current draw Big 3 is a must Consider a beefy 12 or a 15 that likes small boxes and you'll have more play room. The L@zy Hoe 2005 Chevy Tahoe 2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids 4 10 midrange 4 6.5 midwoofers 4 Tweeters 6 Supertweeters 2 Lithium 80AH Batteries 24K Watts 4 Custom 18s Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works The Build Log Like Loud Bass? Click Here! On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said: See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on. On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said: I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!
MalibuMaxxx Posted January 6, 2015 Author Report Posted January 6, 2015 [/url[/url[/url[url=[url=http://s95.photobucket.com/user/angelv794/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150106_130610_zpsca6c23b0.jpg.html%5D]http://s95.photobucket.com/user/angelv794/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150106_130610_zpsca6c23b0.jpg.html][/url[url=http://s95.photobucket.com/user/angelv794/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150106_130627_zps8a2bed62.jpg.html]
MalibuMaxxx Posted January 6, 2015 Author Report Posted January 6, 2015 About 40 inches wide, 30 tall and 32.5 long. What i want to do is divide the cargo space to use bottom for a new sound system set up and build a false sturdy divider floor to use top for groceries and maybe a small stroller then put a cargo net between trunk space and passenger seats so nothing would fly thru from trunk when driving. Am i dreaming too big or do you guys think is possible?
BoomZoom808 Posted January 6, 2015 Report Posted January 6, 2015 First thing you should do is upgrade your electrical. I've owned that Infinity amp and its no slouch. Do the big 3 as suggested and make sure you have a solid ground for that amp. I would use at least 4 GA OFC (looks like 8 gauge wire in the picture). Adding a second battery wouldn't hurt you but shouldn't be needed if you do the BIG 3 and use a quality wire like SHCA. Then build a ported box. Sub up port back or sub back port back usually work well. If that still not loud enough then look at other subs or even just adding another one. Adding cone area makes a big difference even if you are not adding any more power. 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
Miguels Posted January 7, 2015 Report Posted January 7, 2015 you shouldn't be suggesting a second battery without knowing what his stock alt puts out. I used to have my kicker cx1200.1 which is 1200@2ohms running at half ohm on a stock 130A explorer alt with no drop. And even if he is getting voltage drop on a thousand watts, a battery isn't the answer. I've made that mistake. OP, you need to figure out what subs and amp you want before you think about the electrical you need to get. if you're only wanting to run 1000 watts wired at 1ohm, then more than likely you'll be fine on stock electrical with big three (from my experiences). Figure out what power you're running, and then if required upgrade your electrical. A battery does not make power. And alternator does. I'd rather spend $400 on a better alt than $400 on batteries that are nothing but storage units. you should continue reading and learning.. a 1000 watt amp wont draw 100a on music.. if anything it will be around the 60 to 70a.. even an alternator from the 80's can handle that load..i have 3 batteries. 1 group 65 and 2 group 31 on my stock 130a and my voltage keeps up with a DC 5k and been that way for 2 years. after 1800 watts he will see that batteries alone wont help my logshttp://www.stevemead...-my-new-set-up/my blow through loghttp://www.stevemead...future-updates/ 96 ss http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164094-96-impala-ss-build/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.