Running 1 alt VS 2 ...?

Ok so I want to confirm something that was told to me by a rep at DC Power.-

He told me I should get a dual alt bracket if I want to run a DC Power Alternator at it's Full potential. Meaning having my computer regulated off the stock one and then getting the full charging capabilities off the 2nd . He said that some newer vehicles are like that with the computer regulator. So is it worth while to get the dual alt kit and the 2nd alt to charge my bats or should I just replace my stock alt with the DC power 300 Xps??

He told me I should get a dual alt bracket if I want to run a DC Power Alternator at it's Full potential. Meaning having my computer regulated off the stock one and then getting the full charging capabilities off the 2nd . He said that some newer vehicles are like that with the computer regulator. So is it worth while to get the dual alt kit and the 2nd alt to charge my bats or should I just replace my stock alt with the DC power 300 Xps??

well...

how much demand are you looking to pull ?

How much power are you running?

A single 300a alt is fine up to about 7kw, then dual alts is a good idea.

Im doing ~10kw and have 2 270a alts.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Factory PCM's will charge at 13.8 hot and that sucks for car audio IMO when that is the highest volts you are starting at. I run the DC Power dual alt set up. Two separate charging systems. My second alt is dedicated to substage itself. I love my set up, am happy with it, would do it again.

Even without knowing all the facts about your set up my opinion would be this. If you are into car audio some what and don't ever planning on going too big then just upgrading your stock alt (not talking anything about reserve at this point) would be an ok option. If you feel you have the demand to have a dedicated alt for your audio habit then get the dual kit.

I originally replaced stock alt with 370 amp (225 at idle) it was enough that summer. The next summer got a dual kit (additional 370, same at idle).

The next summer is gonna be this next one and now I am looking at quad kits......

To me.....it's based off your demand.....where that line is is up for debate though......how manys watts, etc.etc. plans for long term etc. etc.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Depends what vehicle you have if it will limit your capabilities. Do you have a PCM controlled alt factory on your vehicle?

If your factory alt is 165 then your vehicle requires a large demand on it's stock alt. just because it's 165 doesn't mean it will fully power whatever you put in for audio (not your question I know) lol

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived