point source drivers.

Broke_Audio_Addict

Interested in seeing if anyone here is running point source drivers in their ride or has and what the results were?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I ran Massive Audio SX6 coaxials years ago, but at the time I hardly knew what sounded good and they were installed in my car's doors. They have the tweeter right down in the voice coil of the woofer, so it's a low budget point source coaxial. Erin Hardison of Medlysmusings.com has/had a very impressive looking Honda Civic build with KEF point source speakers. Every speaker configuration has pros and cons, and point source coaxials are no different. Here is his review of one example of KEF speaker: Kef Q100 Speaker Drive Unit Testing

When I first read this I thought you were talking about the dayton type "point source" drivers which well...is a full range. Or a woofer with a whizzer cone on it like the fostex full ranges.

But once I read a little bit it looks like you could use it without a traditional crossover just a low pass filter. 18sound makes one http://www.usspeaker.com/eighteensound-8CX400F-1.htm

pretty interesting design. I wonder how it would sound and whether the mids and highs would interfere with each other at all.

I was actually looking at the Dayton point source drives but have found a few others as well that have me curious.

I just didn't want to post brands and such as to not turn this into a vs thread.

I'm curious if anyone here has tried anything like this but apparently no one has so I might have to be the first.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

well back a couple nights ago high on LSD....because thats the only reason this would be a viable idea....

I decided that I would try and sketch out a transmission line enclosure for fostex 4" full range....I have since realized the error of my ways.

problem with most fullrange drivers is you end up boosting something, whether it be bass or high end. Most of the time its bass so thats why people throw them in enclosures like a transmission line to get a little bit of help on the low end. In a car build though it could work real well. Only issue I had is the ones I was looking at were not a two driver pro audio setup like the one I linked they are wide range woofer type applications...and most of them as pure paper cone = crap in a car. Actually some of the Mark Audio drivers actually tell you to not let them in direct sunlight. So I just thought a lot of them would be too delicate for a car.

that being said it would be great for SQ if you could find one thats decent flat and not too too delicate.

I think it was Mark D. With a Ford Probe back in the day in his kick panels had a 6.5" driver with a directional mount holding his tweeters "hovering" over the midbass driver. Sounded great, but he had a pair of 32 band EQs working things out. Neat concept when you have to improvise for placement, which is why I think this post has meaning to this thread. However, I've always been taught that the components really need to be in line with each other to actually be in phase with one another.

Dang, got more to type, but got to get back to work. I'll be back ... Thanks

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived