Discussion - Cutting trucks and blow throughs

I can't answer that Scott because I bought this truck solely for what it is. If I had to have the back seat I'd cater towards that like I've done in my daily driven cars with beat. This is my toy so I do what I want. When my wife lets me

:rofl: im sorry i chucked at that too much lol

and most don't go through the rear window as it limits design options

and i've always been a fan of go big or go home.. if you're gonna cut the back wall at all just cut the whole thing out and do a wall

(unless for competing purposes)

I get that part too. I've been working on a design myself, for this reason. As an alternative of going through the cab wall, and it would also give me more bed space since I only have a short bed. but I think my port size was like 21 w by 13 tall and it fit right in the window double port walled all the way around. Then fill in the sides like sealing off a trunk. It works, but it was a Biiiiioooootch to make work. Lots of numbers playing to get to that final point.

16 10's on 4 3500's big enough? :peepwall:

Good luck even considering welding the pieces back in. That sheet metal is so fucking thin you can't run a bead without warping it . You'd have to patiently do it a tack weld at a time. When I cut and rewelded bracing into my car, we had to tack it in, then use that seam filler putty in a tube. Does the job but looks like shit.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Well that's not what I was looking to hear. But thanks for the honest input. I actually thought about that. I wonder, just thinking as I always do too much of, if it would be better, to weld or use some kind of epoxy weld to put a piece in that would cover the entire back bed wall, and then something simialr to the inside, when the time came that is. Inside the cab, throw some deadener over it put the carpet back up, trim pieces, and call it done. in the bed, do something with the seams around the edge, and re bed line over it.

If I do go the shell route, that would be a good time to build a carpet kit.

mig/tig welding that thin sheet metal is easy if you're experienced.

I would suggest using the short camper toppers (they're basically just a cab extension) if you dont plan on keeping the vehicle for too long.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

If you need the back seat honestly I would do a center console build. I'm doing a center console right now for a buddy of mine in his f150. He needed his back seat and his bed so there weren't many options. I agree with orion on welding sheet metal though. I've been welding for a good amount of time and when it's thin like that it's possible to get done but it's a pain.

I did a full cut through on my ranger and i regret it. There's a sort of pride in being able to build in the cab and still have a functional bed. I did try to build a 40+ cuft shell and snapped the suspension so kind of a bit much for the truck but oh well. If i could go back to the day i cut it, i wouldn't do it. If you can just make it so you lose the back window and run a camper top, that'd be best in my eyes. Just do a 4th ported through the window and call it a day.

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

I had a 86 Chevy with blow through sold to young kid I have a 03 with a blow through still have not worried about selling it.I had the back of my 03 repaired guy did a great job.if I wanted to weld hole back up its possible with a price. In the bed I figure I just get a whole new panel..it depends on how devoted you are and how much bass you want and can live with and with out.Now my 2011 Chevy I'm fine with out a blow through ..( I think)

JK13, I get what you're saying as well. I don't mind a stock vehicle. I don't think I'd do anything with my wife's brand new explorer. It's a great stock vehicle. I honstely don't find myself sitting there figuring out what I'd do with it if it were mine like I did with her accord. But to each his own, and I truely believe that.

Just so we're clear on where I was coming from, I'm a customizer by trade and have never owned a stock vehicle for more than a few hours. Usually have parts waiting for them when they get home.

Like you said, if you dig toppers there is nothing wrong with doing it that way. Be aware that the rear glass is a structural piece on these newer thinner skinned trucks. Not that the back wall isn't if you cut it out. lol. Bracing is good.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived