Sundown Audio

amp question? how is this possible

ALPINE408

no one really has said impedance rise, its only been mentioned once, theyve stated because of the efficiency of the amplifier. which at least helps to understand what potentially could have happened. that is a real factor that isnt "impedance rise" based. If you wire to .5 the amplifier could be overworking/trying to hard therefor distorting the sine wave that is being played. so then the subwoofer wouldnt move in a symmetrical motion and therefor would create losses in the sine wave and the wave being clipped. If the amp is more efficient it may be able to "make better use" of the power at hand taken in. Creating a less clipped/distorted sine wave and a more solid foundation for the subwoofer to play to its full potential. even if isnt as much power the throw of the woofer will be more in line. IMO what audiofanaticz said made sense and is rational so i just kinda restated it.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Oh well audiofantics and Chevy boy were on the right track

Subs are 1500 ems each amp can do over 10k at 1 ohm

So even at 2 ohm with rise I still had more than enough power to reach the mechanical limitations of the sub that's when efficiency distortion really have an effect on spl

At .5 ohms the amp did make more power but being the subs were already passed there limitations the extra power is just turned into heat

And thus brings me to why I made this thread if subs are rated for 5k why do people only buy a 5k amp and then wire it to .5 ohms to try and get your 5k... Put on your big boy pants and buy an amp that will laugh while putting out 5k overhead in power is a wonderful thing I know all aboutt impedance rise I am well aware of it I just don't give a shit about it because even with it I ha me more power then I will ever need there is no need to fight argue or even really discuss impedance rise as long as you are aware of it and take steps to overcome its power robbing ability as in buying an amp that can power your subs properly

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

yeah that is all good and true and does make sense, but if i had a 10k and 2 subs that were 1500rms a piece, id feel like i wasnt using my 10k to its potential since its such a power house, i would want 4 more subs so i could try to lol. which is the problem with spl. we want the most use out of equipment as possible, sounds more like SQ reasoning haha. i know a guy with 12 z312s on 12 m4a's, and theyre still wired to .5... FTW i must add haha. Do they need to be...hell no, but why have it if you dont push it :slayer:

thats just my take on what most people think/do. I definitely understand your thinking and it does make sense, most people probably just arent faced with that situation very often.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 DD M3b

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

that was interesting though i like the answer to the question. most people, i wasnt at least, didnt think that far outside of the box.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

2 DD M3b

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

enclosure was better suited for the power at 2ohms then at .5 ;)

could be.......

but the box was made small to handle the power. i still was way louder at 2 ohm with less power then at .5 with a lot more power

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Archived