Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

End Correction


Knocker

Recommended Posts

Posted

Up until yesterday I wasn't even aware of end correction and the phenomenon it is used to compensate for. Fortunately my tuning only drops by 1 hz. Is this something that is commonly overlooked? For those who don't know what end correction is, apparently when the side of an enclosure is used as a port wall and the port comes to an end and the wall continues on, the woofer "sees" the port as continuing on for the length of half the width of the port. So a 20 x 4 port that is 25 inches long is actually seen by the driver as being 27 inches long. Curious as to whether or not my software compensated for this when it asked if I had any common walls.

Posted

Some softwares do account for end correction. A lot don't. It doesn't matter for a lot of people because they just guestimate on a lot of factors with building their box anyway. They don't factor in things like 45 displacement, bracing displacement, or port wall displacement. On the other hand, one hert or less here or there isn't that big of a deal in most applications. It is something that should be accounted for if you want to get your tuning to an exact figure, but for the general application, most people don't really need to tune to an exact number.

Posted

Torres calculator accounts for it, if you have the chance enter the data of your box in it and see what happens.

Posted

End correction doesn't account for a hertz or two. It can completely change of a box.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

End correction doesn't account for a hertz or two. It can completely change of a box.

I see what you mean. It made my port 2.375 inches longer which dropped my enclosure volume by .14 cubes which increased my port area/enclosure volume ratio.

Posted

Port area per volume means nothing.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted

End correction is an area that I think is largely overlooked, there are several ways to account for it, some are more sophisticated than others.

Like JoeX said, Torres does account for it, though in a fairly simplistic way. A more accurate way is to calculate the port length/tuning manually use different end correction factors (referred to as 'k') dependent on how your port is laid out. This image shows the different values of 'k':

PortCorrection.jpg

Obviously its in german, but you can figure it out pretty easily.

The port length formula is similar to the one presented here:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/misc/portcal.htm

You kinda have to like math to do things this way, but that's part of the fun for me.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

My port design is laid out like the example on the bottom right so I used 2.227 as K. I did the math (I'm not very good at math) and came up with 28.2, not sure what 28.2 means. Here is a screen shot of my original box design parameters on Ultimate Car Audio App and a screen shot of the box design I'm using (not my box). Mayhem 18 will be on top. Screenshot_2015-03-10-03-38-36_zpsjdtavaScreenshot_2015-03-08-10-44-42_zpsilbrku

Is 28.2 my port length in inches? Or is my box design on my program already accurate? I only have an Android tablet am am not able to use Torres.

Edit: My desired port frequency is 33 hz.

Posted

End correction is an area that I think is largely overlooked, there are several ways to account for it, some are more sophisticated than others.

Like JoeX said, Torres does account for it, though in a fairly simplistic way. A more accurate way is to calculate the port length/tuning manually use different end correction factors (referred to as 'k') dependent on how your port is laid out. This image shows the different values of 'k':

PortCorrection.jpg

Obviously its in german, but you can figure it out pretty easily.

The port length formula is similar to the one presented here:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/misc/portcal.htm

You kinda have to like math to do things this way, but that's part of the fun for me.

Still learning how to use this forum but I think I may have to use the "quote" thing to get you to see my question above. Really curious about how that math works and if I got the right answer and how to use it.

Posted

Here's your box in Torres, it looks like the software you are using and Torres are pretty close in this case:

Torrres.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5219 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...