Second Skin Audio

JL Audio 10TW3

TRON

Yet another "help me build a box" thread. I want to know what you guys think about following the EBP. The EPB is pretty close to the center at 49.5 so it should work well either sealed or ported, but JL says it's only meant for sealed, specifically .5 cubic feet. The issue is when I simulate it in a ported enclosure the yeild curve is way better than the sealed. To me, it makes more sense to go ported. POrted looks like 2 cubic feet with around 25-30 inches of port.

I don't know if I should just stick with JL's recommended enclosure or try a ported. JL knows what they're doing but their recommendation might be for the average knuckle head to make it easy. I think I have some irrational fear of sealed enclosures, because I've seen too many shit ass sealed prefabs with the grey rat fur carpet that sound awful.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

lol... well all kind of cheap prefabs will find a way to sound awful for one reason or the other (poor construction / materials likely), JL specs are optimized for sound quality but if you have something else in mind you can come up with a spec that is to your liking, they recommend a sealed because the sub it's meant to work in small space I guess but that doesn't mean it won't work in ported or other type of boxes.

I figured JL would focus on sound quality, which is fine. I guess they think sealed will give you better sound quality? Either way, I'm always skeptical when a manufacture says sealed only when the T/S parameters say otherwise.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

JL is dummy proof, that's what you are paying for. if you buy there products and stick to their recommendations than it'll be good. JL products are made to sound really good in a multitude of situations especially in the pre-fab arena. very seldom do JL products sound that much better in a custom enclosure than a pre-fab enclosure. JL subs have a high tolerance for error in enclosure.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Any sub will sound like shit in a prefab box vs a custom box built built to spec. Including any jl sub.

so you're an installer and know this as fact or at least ran several JL subs in several different pre-fab enclosures?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

i'd be very anxious to see what sound you get with a ported enclosure... the t/s parameters do not lie... while manufacturers do. to sell more to the average buyer who thinks (insert name brand here) makes the best gear.

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

i'd be very anxious to see what sound you get with a ported enclosure... the t/s parameters do not lie... while manufacturers do. to sell more to the average buyer who thinks (insert name brand here) makes the best gear.

Exactly. I often wonder if they find the easiest enclosure to build, and market that as the best possible sound you can get, even though if you really know what you're doing you can get better results.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

yea... i also think that the majority of people, are going to buy 2 12's and not even be able to tell (because they've never heard a system get low or sound clean), nor care if they get "the best sound". so that's why i think alot of manufacturers give out the specs for "good" not "best" sound....

Lets face it if they gave 4-5 cubes ported for the 13w7 as a recommended spec, they'd sell half as much. But that's what i modelled it with and got a flatter curve

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

do you mean any prefab OR JL designed enclosures? Any sub will sound like ass in an enclosure that isn't right for the sub. However JL designs enclosures for their subs. Not exactly what is meant by pre-fab.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived