Sundown Audio

Skar 80.4 getting hot fast and going into protect

pk222

So I just installed a lp80.4 in my G35 to replace an old infinity 5 channel. Never had a problem with the 5 channel just wanted a little more sound and clarity. Since everything was already hooked up I just swapped the amps. The sound is much better and I have no distortion with a little more volume.

My question is. Since the amp is in my spare tire well. Should I make an amp rack with some cooling fans? I'm sure it would help but it overheated when it was only 60* out. The gain is about 1/3 with no bass boost. I have stinger ofc 4 gauge. Could it be a bad amp or just try out the fans and hope for the best?

Thanks guys

How was did you come to know 1/3 of the way is where it should be without clipping the signal? If you used an oscope, DD-1, or even a DMM to set the gain and its still overheating, then I would say try the fans. Maybe you don't have enough airflow in the trunk to help with cooling. But if you didn't use the proper tools to set it, then you could just be clipping the signal.

I dont have an o scope anymore. I'm waiting for payday to order a dd1. I tried setting conservatively but you're right, I'll order one as soon as possible. I'm also going to try finding a better ground. It's bolted to the floor of the trunk right now because I didn't find a good way to acces the unibody. It wasn't a problem with my last amp or the aq1200 I'm currently running but it's always bothered me that it was grounded there

I dont have an o scope anymore. I'm waiting for payday to order a dd1. I tried setting conservatively but you're right, I'll order one as soon as possible. I'm also going to try finding a better ground. It's bolted to the floor of the trunk right now because I didn't find a good way to acces the unibody. It wasn't a problem with my last amp or the aq1200 I'm currently running but it's always bothered me that it was grounded there

Can you access the strut tower from the trunk and ground it there? And as said above, if it's wired low it'll mean less efficient and more heat from an already inefficient amp (a/b)

I'm running 4 speakers on the amp that are all 4 ohm. One set of components and one set of coax in the back sails. Took out the rear speakers to let bass flow into the car. But I'll try getting the ground to the strut tower and hope it does the trick

The first time I used it just through adjusting the amp and playing for maybe 15 minutes it was to hot to touch. About 2 hours later I drove to work. About 20 minutes with it at volume 24 when I have it set to max at 30 and it shut off on me.

Just out of curiosity.. How does it make any difference if the ground is horizontal or vertical ? Not doubting that just wondering how it works

your ground is not good enough.

You say you swapped your factory infinity amp for the skar, are you sure the factory ground in good enough.

can we see a picture of your current ground?

also amp settings.

Also are you sure your factory speakers are 4ohm?

get a multimeter out and check the ohm loads at the amp.

Archived