Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Baltic Birch Ply!? Q's and Help!!


757lmj

Recommended Posts

Posted

So yea...I thought the same thing. I think PL just has a better bond once cured and in a pressurized enclosure, but I am not really sure why people say to use PL over titebond or wood glue to be honest.

Just keep seeing it over and over again in builds so I figured there was a good reason. I haven't researched the difference enough to give a good answer though. I figure at the same price if one performs better I'll use it.

Its probably because most people don't have the ability to make really straight, accurate cuts. PL Premium's biggest advantage over Titebond is that it fills gaps really well. So if you cuts are crappy it really won't matter.

For people that can make good cuts though, Titebond is probably better. Its cheaper, cures faster, and is way less messy. Titebond 2 is what I use for the most part, but I still keep a tube of PL Premium around for those few situations where it would be better.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

So yea...I thought the same thing. I think PL just has a better bond once cured and in a pressurized enclosure, but I am not really sure why people say to use PL over titebond or wood glue to be honest.

Just keep seeing it over and over again in builds so I figured there was a good reason. I haven't researched the difference enough to give a good answer though. I figure at the same price if one performs better I'll use it.

Its probably because most people don't have the ability to make really straight, accurate cuts. PL Premium's biggest advantage over Titebond is that it fills gaps really well. So if you cuts are crappy it really won't matter.

For people that can make good cuts though, Titebond is probably better. Its cheaper, cures faster, and is way less messy. Titebond 2 is what I use for the most part, but I still keep a tube of PL Premium around for those few situations where it would be better.

Interesting, well I have both right now just in case I guess.

Posted

Interesting, well I have both right now just in case I guess.

They are both good products, they just have their respective advantages and disadvantages. In addition to those two adhesives I also keep a bottle of polyurathane glue (Gorilla glue) around. It has its specific uses as well.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

So yea...I thought the same thing. I think PL just has a better bond once cured and in a pressurized enclosure, but I am not really sure why people say to use PL over titebond or wood glue to be honest.

Just keep seeing it over and over again in builds so I figured there was a good reason. I haven't researched the difference enough to give a good answer though. I figure at the same price if one performs better I'll use it.

Its probably because most people don't have the ability to make really straight, accurate cuts. PL Premium's biggest advantage over Titebond is that it fills gaps really well. So if you cuts are crappy it really won't matter.

For people that can make good cuts though, Titebond is probably better. Its cheaper, cures faster, and is way less messy. Titebond 2 is what I use for the most part, but I still keep a tube of PL Premium around for those few situations where it would be better.

Good to know

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Posted

Interesting, well I have both right now just in case I guess.

They are both good products, they just have their respective advantages and disadvantages. In addition to those two adhesives I also keep a bottle of polyurathane glue (Gorilla glue) around. It has its specific uses as well.
The gorilla glue is good stuff I use it for all kinds of things around the house pretty messy though.

Curious what you use it for when building?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted
The gorilla glue is good stuff I use it for all kinds of things around the house pretty messy though.

Curious what you use it for when building?

Pretty much just two things. If I'm laminated two larger panels together I'll use it since it doesn't need air to cure, just moisture. I'll moisten one panel with a spray bottle first when I do this.

The other time is when I make kerf bends. I put the gorilla glue down in the kerf slots and then mist everything down with water so it will foam up well. The glue will fill up the entire kerf slot cavity and makes a pretty solid joint.

I actually use the Elmer's brand polyurathene glue instead of Gorilla. It's pretty much the same, and I've used lots of Gorilla brand stuff, I just seem to like Elmer's a little better. They both make a big mess though.

ETA: Forgot, I have one more thing I use it for. Anytime I need to bond metal to wood, which is usually things like hurricane nuts or threaded inserts. Wood glue doesn't stick to metal at all, but polyurathane glue sure does.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3292 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...