Second Skin Audio

Whats the truth on subwoofers?

Shiv

Shiv welcome to the forum.

I see you met the boys.

I hear what you're saying.

Here is my $0.02.

I wondered the same thing, but after taking a RF RFR 3115 apart and doing research on subwoofer repair I see why some subwoofers respond better than others.

Chevyboy high lighted some of the reasons. I will add, I thought a suspension spider was a suspension spider, nope there's a scale from A to F. F being the stiffest.

I can assume that this translates into more transcient response and greater sensitivity depending on the stiffness used. Maybe that is why my Image Dynamic IDQ12 subs are great for SQ, but not so much for SPL. You probably already know this, but I didn't until recently. So I find this interesting.

Than there's where the voice coil sits. underhung, overhung, etc.

If I understand you correctly, I have wondered why subwoofer manufacturers do not give exact details (measurement wise) like car magazines do when talking about a featured car- compression ratios, piston size, heads, pipes ext. Full details. The only way to find out is to take apart said sub and measure everything. If you were able to find out this info, their sub could be replicated for a much cheaper price either by sourcing the same exact part or by a chinese knock off factory. I am speaking in general terms-all things being equal. So your question would apply here "what's the difference between a high priced sub and a low priced sub?". That's where I see your question.

I also agree with Paralyzed. Some purchaseds ARE based on name recognition.

-Frank

Wait did some one mention bose... you mean the low end missing and parts of the mid or was it upper frequency missing company????.. not sure if they have gotten better but the 2 set ups i heard (late 90's) the bass modules that came with the 5 cubes.. yeah not impressed was lacking in low end sounded dull and couldn't keep up with movies.. and there was just something missing in the upper frequencies .. and when tried to play bass heavy songs yeah just forget it.

they did have a tower speaker that i thought sounded decent but didn't get to hear then for long mid to late 90's also

Wait did some one mention bose... you mean the low end missing and parts of the mid or was it upper frequency missing company????.. not sure if they have gotten better but the 2 set ups i heard (late 90's) the bass modules that came with the 5 cubes.. yeah not impressed was lacking in low end sounded dull and couldn't keep up with movies.. and there was just something missing in the upper frequencies .. and when tried to play bass heavy songs yeah just forget it.

they did have a tower speaker that i thought sounded decent but didn't get to hear then for long mid to late 90's also

yea im not talking about their consumer grade crap... ive been to shows and bose has good stuff but its rediculously $$$$$$$$$ i saw 1 set up that used 2-5" speakers in each tower. and each tower was probabaly about 8ft tall and 3 feet wide. huge things but damn they were amazing.

yeah a few rides at an amusment park here have bose but can't remember how they sounded.... probably wasn't paying to much attention

and a bar has one of those ones that looks like a 4th order bandpass not sure what it is but they where not using it i always think it looks like a robots head

Earlier tonight though, I looked up the Zapco 26k and day dreamed about hooking up 4 AA SMD V2's to it.

Its...so...beautiful...

z_zxseriesban_02.png

It appears that I have stumbled upon an SPL site.

I see how such a discussion can be considered blasphemous here and I apologize for that.

I do understand the importance of these drivers in the SPL world.

That's not my cup of tea.

It appears that I have stumbled upon an SPL site.

I see how such a discussion can be considered blasphemous here and I apologize for that.

I do understand the importance of these drivers in the SPL world.

That's not my cup of tea.

There are def alot of sound quality guys on this forum though!! Hit up cableguy if you want an opinion from one of the best in the business!

I pick my drivers based upon the job I want them to do. That could be a $5 tweeter or a $400 tweeter.

If I'm going to do a line array I wouldn't want a numerous amount of bullet tweeters.

This is a very largely popular SPL site, but we have quite a bit of SQ people here. I would like to consider myself one, but I don't do anything in car as of right now. I will once I understand much more of the acoustics, electrical sciences and magnetics, but I don't think I know enough to take upon a task of doing a sound quality install within an automobile when I don't feel confident enough to map out the acoustics or model them and get it paper perfect before I start the build.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived