PicoWrecker 10" Tapped Horn Build

I've finally gotten caught up on building things for other people so I figure its time to build something for myself. I've had the Alpine SWS-10D2 driver sitting around for a while so I can finally get going on this PicoWrecker.

The PicoWrecker is a tapped horn that works well with an Alpine SWS-10 or Sundown E-10v2 sub. It should have good extension down to the mid 20's Hz. Being a horn, its quite efficient, more so than a ported 15" in fact.

My PicoWrecker is going to be built out of 3/4" Arauco plywood and will most likely be finished in Duratex. I'll be posting pictures to this thread as I go along but here are a few to get things started.

Crosscutting the panel on the table saw. A good crosscut sled is the second greatest thing ever for the table saw. The first greatest thing ever is an outfeed table:

ddkJj7g.jpg

I've drawn out all the lines for the panels, the Incra T-Rule you can see right above the side panel makes this MUCH easier and more accurate to do:

1zLxmd8.jpg

Gluing the bottom panel to the side panel. $10 harbor freight 90 degree clamps for the win:

vRUbWf0.jpg

I get a lot of mileage out of my clamps, you can never have too many:

0paXyql.jpg

More to come....

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

need to build my crosscut sled!

You totally do. They are the best, I use it every time I'm in the shop just the about. Mine is a William Ng style. If you google it there is a really good video on how to build it. William has a very clever system for making sure it is square.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

More progress.

I'm using my Harbor Freight pocket hole jig to make some hole for one of the inside panels. This panel will be difficult to clamp well and pocket screws are my preferred method of dealing with that problem. BTW, I'm not a giant Harbor Freight fan-boy, but they do make some things well and that pocket hole jig and 90 degree clamps are some of those things.

N8Z18tt.jpg

Here you can see where the panel I used pocket screws on goes:

USjUiZz.jpg

More panels being attached, lots more clamps being used:

8vSGHsY.jpg

Builds:

Gluing in the final internal panel:

Mxz06lo.jpg

Here you can see all the goodness on the inside, I used 3/4" dowels for bracing:

HCVTmkG.jpg

Final outside panel being attached:

IfanTMl.jpg

Builds:

Nice.

I think i'd be ready to kill someone about the time I got that driver changed out lol.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Nice.

I think i'd be ready to kill someone about the time I got that driver changed out lol.

Actually its not too bad, I can fit the whole screwdriver in there pretty easily. I've definitely build subs that were worse.

There;s no cancellation with the sub in that final corner?

Nope, by the time the sound wave from the front of the cone gets to that final corner its in phase with what's coming off the back. This type of arrangement is called a tapped horn and there are a number of designs out there using the same principle. This sub is not my design. It was done by a guy called lilmike on avsforum.com He has designed a number of very succesful bass horns.

Builds:

question reguarding the cross cut sled.

I recently finally got a table saw, not a high dollar one, but its actually a pretty decent contractors saw. anyway, what are the benefits of a cross cut sled vs the fence system? how does it make things easier? there are a ton of people that swear by them, im just not seeing the major benefit in it.

btw, you build some of the cleanest enclosures ive ever seen. good job! :good:

Archived