Second Skin Audio

box design for my lexus. need feedback

So i have an idea for a custom box in ny lexus GS. I need to know if this is OK.

So here is my vision.

Picture your average sealed box for two 12s placed in a trunk. The front peice of wood that holds the subs will be plexi glass. Then on the inside, the top bottom and side of the box will have tan leather vinyl glued and and screw in. Then for the back... It will have the mirror sheets so you can see the back of the subwoofer. I was also thinking of making the subs downfire.

Questions. Can the inside of a box be placed with leather vinyl. Will it effect sound? Is down fire subs louder or increases the risk of certain things? Where can i get mirror sheets\stickers? Going with tan leather to match the interior

You should be fine with vinyl on the inside of the box. If anything it will help with standing waves.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

A plexiglass baffle will cost you a fortune, also I would build a wood box to test the design is to your satisfaction before actually making the final version.

Depends on dimensions required but it could get very expensive.

Especially if you can't cut it yourself.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I get my acrylic panels (plexiglass) from estreetplastics.com

Its the cheapest place I've found. I would suggest you use nothing thinner than 3/4" and you might want to brace it some as well. Acrylic isn't as stiff as MDF.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Dont remove the paper protective layers off the plexiglass until you are done drilling and cutting.

Its not even a bad idea to add a layer of masking tape on both sides of the plexiglass just to help farther reduce scratches.

Cut it just like wood for the most part.

Depending on what kind of sawblade you are using, you may want something with as many teeth as possible.
Ssomewhere around 60-80 teeth for a 10inch blade. I use 80 tooth blades for almost all my cutting of various materials, leaves a cleaner smoother cut.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful.

New problem. So facing the sub up as picture really decreased db for me. Im am now changing the direction of my build. I noticed placing the sub box twards the trunk greatly increased bass. Also my subwoofer is overpowered as the sub is a fosgate t1 and i am running a alpine mrp2000. I am now in the market for another t1. I am planning on porting the box with a pvc pipe and wanted info on what size pipe to get and what is the best direction for me to port it... Up throught the 12inch hole in my decklid or facing the trunk? The box dimensions are 14 inches tall 14 inches deep and 27 inches wide.

Archived