Decibel ratings for music

So what you are saying is you are too lazy to use the volume knob?

That is far from what I'm saying, but thanks for your very valuable input. I should have put a disclaimer that I want experienced replies only.

The whole point of buying a DD1 is to find the max volume of the headunit without distortion as well as the amps. If I use two different decibel ratings of music then that number is useless. If I tune my amp using a 103dB tone and then play 89dB music 24/7 I'm going to have a truck that's basically at half volume. That's the same concept as tuning it with the SMD CD at a 0dB tone, then going to a competition and burping with a -14dB tone. Why would someone do that?

are you saying you think your max distorted level is going to vary from song to song, depending on how it was recorded?

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

are you saying you think your max distorted level is going to vary from song to song, depending on how it was recorded?

Somewhat. Every song is different, some CD's come in at 103dB, others are 95dB. Not every song out there is recorded or produced at the same dB level. The way to combat this issue is to use a gain program that levels everything off to whatever dB rating you choose (I chose 89dB as the default). Every song I have in my hard drive is gain matched at 89dB. There are no songs on my computer that play louder than another. Some might have more bass or louder vocals, but the overall sound level is 89dB on all my tracks. With that said, why would I tune my amps with a track other than 89dB (the equivalent of the 0dB tone, then 84dB for -5db, etc...)?

When I get home from work I will use data and pictures to show what I'm talking about. I will use my SMD CD 1000hz 0dB test tone and measure the speaker outputs in volts at the amo. I will then use my 1000hz 89dB test tone that has been gain matched with my program to match all the music on my computer and see the difference in voltage outputs. I am willing to bet they are not the same.

Because you're not trying to match the gain level to whatever the decibel level of your tracks are. If you tune with the -5 five track and all of your songs are the same level then, they'll still be the same level. The level and track you use to set the amps are for the amps intended purpose, not for your listening preference.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

say your volume is at 10 (max) for one song, but then a song that is more quiet comes on next? The minus dB(u) tuning gives you an overlap to help keep the max volume dB(spl), as a more constant rate.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

So what you are saying is you are too lazy to use the volume knob?

That is far from what I'm saying, but thanks for your very valuable input. I should have put a disclaimer that I want experienced replies only.

The whole point of buying a DD1 is to find the max volume of the headunit without distortion as well as the amps. If I use two different decibel ratings of music then that number is useless. If I tune my amp using a 103dB tone and then play 89dB music 24/7 I'm going to have a truck that's basically at half volume. That's the same concept as tuning it with the SMD CD at a 0dB tone, then going to a competition and burping with a -14dB tone. Why would someone do that?

That's why using a tool to set gains isn't the best way...

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

over lap...

and use a LITTLE bit of your brain..

He wants "experienced replies" only.

None of us qualify as experienced in making things overly complicated.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived