Do i need a new alternator?

Ok, so i drive an FJ Cruiser 08, with a either 100 or 130 amp alternator. my system that i just installed is two sundown SA 15's on a Hifonics BE2100.d amp. the thing is my system right now is just as loud as my last system which was two rockford p3 12's on a rockford r1200 amp. im planning on buying a new alternator because i think the reason its not any louder is that my alternator can supply the amp with the power it needs. when im playing the loudest it gets my voltage drops from around 14.3 to 12.5, and if i try to turn up the volume any past this point my subs start clipping. so i just want to make sure that if i do get a new alternator(thinking of getting a mechman 250 amp) that it will be louder, and the problem isnt just my amp not doing rated. any input would help so much.

Well, you went from quality gear to garbage gear so don't expect anything more. Also, how can you tell your subs are clipping.

Edit: spoke to soon, the sa's should outperform those rockford subs, but that hifonics is garbage. What type of box was your old one and now your new one

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Heck, I bet if you threw the R1200.1D on those SA's it might surprise you.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

if your willing to spend money on a good alternator, you might want to spend on a good amp. I don't know the specs of the hifonics, but i would definitely go another route if your going to spend on a mechman alt.

^THIS (all of the above)

Many variables going on here......different subs, amp, box.....possibly direction of subs/port???

How did you set your gains, clipping point of HU.....etc.?

That Hifonics amp might be putting a huge strain on your electrical because.....well......it's just not that great of an amp.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

^THIS (all of the above)

Many variables going on here......different subs, amp, box.....possibly direction of subs/port???

That Hifonics amp might be putting a huge strain on your electrical because.....well......it's just not that great of an amp.

most of the reason i bought the hifonics amp is because it the be1700 did more than rated on steve meades test so i figures the be2100 would do rated, and even if the amp is straining my electrical wouldnt getting a 250 amp alt give it all the power it needs and then be able to do rated? and i also did try the rockford amp with my subs and it was just as loud and the voltage drop was pretty much the same

^THIS (all of the above)

most of the reason i bought the hifonics amp is because it the be1700 did more than rated on steve meades test so i figures the be2100 would do rated, and even if the amp is straining my electrical wouldnt getting a 250 amp alt give it all the power it needs and then be able to do rated? and i also did try the rockford amp with my subs and it was just as loud and the voltage drop was pretty much the same

That was'nt on "music". So you are willing to dish out money, to upgrade you electrical so you hungry amp can survive, rather than buying a a efficient amp. That can put out the same power, if not more, on what you have for electrical, no problem. The reason why lot's don't like hifonics, the same wattage amp from a quality brand will not pull the same amount of current to produce the same power, also does not get as hot.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm