Port area. what does it affect?

Im trying to make you think clear, but you will not do it.

You keep trying to compare this video of all woofers wired together at .35 to each woofer wired at .7, and still think you have a rise to 1.5, when actually your starting dcr is .7 and your rise is going to be someplace in the mid 2s per amp due to the higher dcr unlike the dcr in this video you posted.

But you cant seem to wrap your head around that.

i need to read this a few times.......

and thanks for "sticking with me"...

Impedance doesn't change with power other than the heating of the voice coil causing the impedance to increase slightly. Exceptions to this would be there is so much power that part of the voice coil is being driven out of the strongest part of the magnetic field. A box that starts flexing or leaking with added power. Stuff like that

Power compression (causing the voice coil to heat up) isn't the only thing that will raise impedance.

If your port is undersized port compression will raise you impedance too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

^Yep.

My original post was referring to real world system "tuning" resonances and how that will change with power applied.

Kyle, you can tune your box to 37hz on paper but if you were to measure the "tuning" of that box it would change with every different sub you tried in it because of the difference in their parameters. Woofer parameters can change over stroke and with power applied so you can see how that translates into a change in "tuning".

Its nothing really to worry about tho, just an interesting note.

Team NorthWestSPL

Impedance doesn't change with power other than the heating of the voice coil causing the impedance to increase slightly. Exceptions to this would be there is so much power that part of the voice coil is being driven out of the strongest part of the magnetic field. A box that starts flexing or leaking with added power. Stuff like that

With the power levels we run to our equipment we are running our voice coils out of the strongest part of the magnetic field. A woofer operating at or near xmax is seeing maybe 80-50% of motor strength at its travel limits and will have notably different parameters than one being driven with 10 watts of power where the coils sees 100% motor strength the entire time.

Team NorthWestSPL

Fine then.

It can happen, but whatever.

woah woah woah, others may be curios as well. I'm curious as to your reasoning because I've never heard of it being possible but i also don't know jack shit lol.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Awesome thread guys!
I'm also curious about the lower impedance, Krakin.

Also, is clamp metering a somewhat reliable method of calculating impedance? I know the thing about phase shifting between V and A, abnormal readings when distorting, etc., but is it that bad?

There was a thread some years back that had this conversation. It ended with "unless you are burping don't try to factor in impedance rise"

Seems to apply well here.

Ever heard the joke about the physicist and spherical chickens?

Theory does not play well in real world applications

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Fine then.

It can happen, but whatever.

woah woah woah, others may be curios as well. I'm curious as to your reasoning because I've never heard of it being possible but i also don't know jack shit lol.

It is just an anomaly that can happen at tuning if everything about the environment for the speaker is correct. Don't really remember past that.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

you cant drop lower than coil nominal. no such thing as "box drop". the impedance response will always go up or stay the same as the coil. if you are wired to 1 ohm on the dot. your amp will never see lower than 1 ohm.

for those that think it can drop below coil nominal impdance, why do you think that? under heat does the resistance o up or down? while playing the sub did the coil get shorter in length? did the coil conductor size grow to allow less resistance?

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I tried to look for dropping below in one of the scientific journals I thought it was in and couldn't find it. I could have been remembering something else dropping below something else, if I was then I'll admit I was wrong.

I'll look again if I care this weekend, but for now I'll go with I was wrong.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived