Sundown Audio

Impedance rise on amp?

Csprak1990

SMD IM-SG

You got a response on how to measure impedance rise

Buy, rent or borrow an impedance meter and sweep your (OP's) system.

You can design a great box on paper, but the parameters will change when its installed in a vehicle (mine did).

This will give you the best idea of how your system responds to various frequencies and what the amp can expect.

Of course the parameters will also change at high power/temperature and other changes, but metering your impedance will get you the best basic view of what the amp is going to actually see.

For instance, on paper my system was tuned to 37Hz and I'm wired to "1ohm".

Real world, I'm tuned to 32Hz with a low impedance of about 1.78ohms.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

run it and see what happens. if it keeps going into protect, you know it's b/c the impedance is too low. if it works, than it works.

seriously too much of what works is b/c someone tried it. no matter what you post, it won't matter what people say b/c none of us have your products so we can't try it.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Another thing is.. Just because it worked for someone else its not going to work for someone else.. Electronics are a bitch. Some have better luck than others

I wouldn't suggest running the amp below what it is rated but there is cases of people, including myself, doing it and it working for a long time. A DD-1 can definitely help, correct gain setting can save equipment. You have to know the limits of the equipment, if you choose to push past the ratings, you're accepting the inherent risk. As far as measuring impedance rise, your best bet would be an IM-SG or a multimeter.

Appreciate the help, I'm investing in a SMD DD, and I have a cheap dmm but not a clamp meter. In all honesty the difference from 4 ohm to 1 ohm wasn't too significant compared to risk vs reward ratio. I just wanted a reason to try it lol. But I appreciate all the help.

That little bit of power difference between ohm loads won't really sound much different if at all. It takes a substantial increase to notice a difference once you get around 2000w it seems to me. Wanna get louder? Add more cone area.

Well im in a accord the trunk size is nice but I got a box around 5-6 cubes but about 4 cubes of useable airspace. And takes up entire trunk. Plans are for 4 x-10s but im broke. So I got 4 e-10s right now. About 142 dbs @ headrest on term lab. Its a daily driver not competition. But i do want to get louder eventually just not looking into doing a wall since I got kids. But im sure all yall will be there to help when I plan on getting louder. Right now just reading and learning.

Archived