Head unit powered component set help

reedal

You'd be surprised what my 9980 can do ...

I tune my front stage and image with headunit power alone.

So at the moment while I'm working on my midbass section of the system, I'm running my entire front setup off of headunit power. Yes I can tell a big loss in dynamics and power, but the mechanics of stage and image is spot on ...

So my Kenwood 9980 is powering my 5.25" component set in the dash and my midbass in the doors ... No, I do not have a final word on what the midbass will actually be, but I do know they will be in the doors ... either 8" drivers or 10" drivers.

I'm trying to set up my front stage as a stand alone setup ... meaning no need for subs. We'll see what happens ...

But doesn't power applied affect the sounds produced by the speakers? So tuning it from the head unit on ~20w/channel clean output, when amplifying with 6dBm or more of gain, what sounded like a good position for that speaker on HU power could be different on external amplifier power correct? Even with TA and other attenuation?

My Kenwood puts out more than 20w per channel. Plus, it only puts out 4v preout. So it's level matched with my amplifiers. So when I tune, I listen for placement ... not dynamics. Besides, I only use maybe a quarter volume when tuning anyways. Usually works great for me. But then again, like I've said many times ... every application is different. Keep in mind, I'm tuning for windows up, doors closed, critical listening Sound Quality ... not block party ground pounders ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Ok. I guess I always just thought any tuning should be done at normal listening levels/amplification that way you know how it will be when placement & fabrication is complete. But then again going from free-air to find where you want it to enclosing it in a pod would change it too. I think I'm just putting too much thought into it.

Once you crank any stereo all the way up you throw image and dynamics right out the window anyways so I think how white lightning is tuning his makes sense.

Would you want to turn it up all the way and listen to it for countless hours while tweaking and tuning anyways?

I think you'd Get listening fatigue real quick like that.

Also remember guys that are tuning for sq comps take it very seriously and do things a lot different than Most of us do.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived