I'm going to apologize for the lengthy post, just trying to get all the infor out there.

This is my daily driver and only vehicle, a 2004 Chevy blazer LS 4x4 4 door with 125k all original miles. About 6 months ago I took her in to my shop to get a work up on everything that the engine needed. I wasn't very good at keeping up with maintenance in the past, so the list was lengthy. I replaced the air filter and spark plugs, flushed and refilled all fluids, basically the 120k service plus a few other small things, no major work tho. Only thing I haven't done on the list is replace the spark plug wires.

So last night I get off work and drive to the store, no issues. I come out and go to start the truck, she starts, but never gets that "full turnover sound", fights to keep idle rpms at 550 (where I idle) and after about 10 seconds of getting less and less power she died. Wouldn't start the next 2 attempts. I let her sit for about 10 mins, popped the hood and kinda jiggled the spark plug wires a bit (I thought it could have been a misfire, or something came loose. I couldn't see anything obviously wrong and of course my toolbox was at home and the engine was already hot.). I tried to start it and it cranked back up.

I need some help as to how to prevent this from happening. This is my only vehicle for my wife and I to share, we really aren't in a financial spot to buy a new car or replace this one, not to mention we are expecting iur first child in just a few months, so I need a reliable truck lol. Any/all input is appreciated. I'm really not a huge mechanical guru, I can figure most things out with the help of others and YouTube, but the engine bay and I are on two different plains, anybody that can help bridge that gap would be appreciated.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Honestly without experiencing it and hearing everything as it happens, it's hard to diagnose. Just like with everything else. As for possible issues

Fuel pump

Injectors

Vacuum line

Fuel pump more than likely though in my opinion. If you're turning the key, and you have the sound of it turning over, that rules out the starter, so my next point of check would be fuel.

Ok yeah I'm actually driving it now, started up no problem this morning, so whatever the issue it's inconsistent. I've had a check engine light on for a while now, had all the codes pulled by my shop. I had all issues code related fixed except for one, which was diagnosed as a faulty/leaky hose in my a/c system which causes no cold air to blow. Would be $300 to have my shop replace it, seems a bit high to me though. But I can't imagine that would cause my engine to misfire. Those codes were pulled 2 weeks ago tho so maybe I will go have the codes pulled again to see if something new popped up.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Before you go replacing parts start with simple diagnosis first. Obviously the scan tools at the local auto store wont pull all the codes stored on the computer but they're a good start. Next I would rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto store, attach it inline under the hood and check pressure with the engine off, engine on, and then prop the gauge so you can still see it and drive it around the block for a little bit. If you havent had the fuel filter replaced yet, do it. They're cheap usually around $10. Now I forgot to mention but the fuel pressure should be ~ 55-60 psi on that truck.

When the truck is running can you hear the fuel pump?

If so what does it sound like?

It's also a very very common issue on those trucks

Not too bad of a job to do but expensive and you do not want to cheap out on the part, get an oem pump if that's what it needs or you'll be doing it again.

The other common issue on these trucks that can give an issue like that is a worn distrubitour gear.

I would say another common issue is the bad injector spider but yours should have the updated version so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

The fuel pressure regulator could still be an issue though.

Start by checking fuel pressure before you look at anything else though.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived