scooter99 Posted July 22, 2015 Report Posted July 22, 2015 Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I thought maybe it should go in General, and then I was talking about subs, but then about amps, but the subs were the main question. Not everyone can afford to run tons of amps to match the amount of RMS per sub. A couple of subs and an amp are one thing, but multiple subs on multiple amps are quite another. Obviously we all know "if you wanna play you gotta pay". But I'm thinking from the aspect of the, for now, person. I want this amount of subs, I can afford that, but not the complete amount of power to run all of them. So can I start here under powering them for now, and save up to get more amps later? That type of thing. So I'm just wondering; What the pro's and con's are of under powering subs? What are the factors involved? I'm assuming enclosure type, sub type. Does it matter the amount of subs taking the power? 4, 6, 8, 12, 20? Does ohm load matter? A set of multiple subs running a 2 ohm load compared to the same set running a 1 ohm or .5 ohm load. If one was to run 12 subs rated at 1500 rms, in a 4th order enclosure, but had about 15000 watts to throw at them, would the 250 watts under powering make a noticeable difference? What if the same amount of subs with about 550 watts less per sub? At the end of the day 15,000 watts or 11,500 watts is still alot of power. Does it matter if the set up is for musical/demo purposes or competition purposes? Trying to learn a little bit before I make some final decisions myself, but I'm sure this info could be useful as well for others wondering the same thing or trying to come up with a design themselves. How do some of you decide on your set ups? Just decide, I want 8 15's and 48000 watts running them, or where does it start? Me personally I see something and I think man that would be cool to run. I've always wanted to run multiple subs and multiple amps, so I'm headed in that direction now. But how did you guys get where you finalized your designs or set ups? Thanks! Facebook Page: S99Creations 2006 F250 Lariat Build
lutkeveld Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 I dislike overpowering because it costs more, puts more stress on the subs and doesn't get you much extra. I don't see the need for multiple amps; one big amp costs less and is easier to work with
Triticum Agricolam Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 Almost all subs are being underpowered 99% of the time. Most people don't go around listening to their systems at 100% max volume (though some do). Even then though, unless you are listening to a solid sine wave, with music the output jumps around all over the place so there are only short spikes to max power. The only disadvantages of underpowering subs is you may be paying for capacity you aren't using, and generally speaking, higher RMS rated subs can be less efficient due to higher moving mass. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
_paralyzed_ Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 Underpowering subs just doesn't make sense to me. Higher power subs are more expensive. The higher power subs won't be as loud if not driven to rated. KyBlack just lost db's by going to more powerful subs and under powering them. It would be like putting a built tranny that can handle 1000 horsepower in a car that only puts out 300 horsepower. It just doesn't really make sense. It's best to match rated sub power to rated amp power, or have a little over rated on the amp side for dynamic headroom.
scooter99 Posted July 23, 2015 Author Report Posted July 23, 2015 But if someone is budgeting a system, say they have 8 subs at 1500 "rms" and plan on multiple amps. If they're putting a single 2000 watt amp per sub in their plans but have 4 amps right now that's one per pair. If they plan on adding 4 more later on then the original 4 would play the system just fine right? I understand what you're saying on running at rated power, I get it. But I'm thinking about the guys who want to run bigger subs, but don't have the budget for full power at first. Not everyone can get subs and amps rated at 50k watts. So at that point what would the effects be of running say half power or three quarters power. Ive always read that you should plan for overhead in a system. Is a sub rated for 1500 watts going to overtax an amp rated for 1000 watts? These are things I've been asked, and things I've always wanted confirmation on, and to know what the more experienced guys do in situations like this. Facebook Page: S99Creations 2006 F250 Lariat Build
Leo1103 Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 build the box for full power, then throw half power at it until you get the other amps. 2002 Honda CR-VAlpine 9887My BuildRebuilding... Second Skin Damp 4 DC XL 15's 2 DC 5ks Singer 320 amp 6 cap banksSky High wire 2 VM-1's OM-1 all under window line Team DC Audio Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way. I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.
gckless Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 But if someone is budgeting a system, say they have 8 subs at 1500 "rms" and plan on multiple amps. If they're putting a single 2000 watt amp per sub in their plans but have 4 amps right now that's one per pair. If they plan on adding 4 more later on then the original 4 would play the system just fine right? I understand what you're saying on running at rated power, I get it. But I'm thinking about the guys who want to run bigger subs, but don't have the budget for full power at first. Not everyone can get subs and amps rated at 50k watts. So at that point what would the effects be of running say half power or three quarters power. Ive always read that you should plan for overhead in a system. Is a sub rated for 1500 watts going to overtax an amp rated for 1000 watts? . What does the bold mean? Are you under the impression subs pull power from amps? The only con would be less output. How much depends on box design, driver efficiency, and a few other things. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
_paralyzed_ Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 I see what you mean now. It's absolutely fine to under power a sub until you can afford more power. It's no different than playing at 1/2 volume (1/2 rated power if rated powers match)
Triticum Agricolam Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 Buy the subs to handle the power you will eventually run and don't worry about what you are putting to them in the mean time. You won't hurt anything. A sub cannot overtax an amp. Only you can do that. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
graham0599 Posted July 23, 2015 Report Posted July 23, 2015 Buy the subs to handle the power you will eventually run and don't worry about what you are putting to them in the mean time. You won't hurt anything. A sub cannot overtax an amp. Only you can do that. I agree with what he said. The only way you could really "overtax" an amp would be wiring below rated impedence. Running subs under rated power isn't going to hurt anything except possible loss of volume. Typically higher power subs have stiffer suspensions and more mass, therefore needing more power to reach "full potential". Not going to hurt anything by running half power till you can afford more power. My 350z build- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174424-2008-350z-build/page-2?hl=%2B350z+%2Bbuild#entry2605678
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.