Military Sonar.....235db?!?!?!?!

i was listening to an interview on NPR yesterday and the subject of military underwater sonar came up and how it can kill dolphins and whales, the lady they were interviewing wrote a book and seemed very knowledgeable but then she said something that instantly i couldn't believe... She claimed that these advanced military underwater sonars could register as loud as 236db!!!!!!! from everything i have ever read and learned, the loudest possible spl is 194db IIRC, because after that it would just be an explosion, or a vacuum or something of that matter. so once i got back to my computer and started researching around, i found multiple different articles, all claiming that these sonars produce sound waves between 1khz-10khz, up to 235db, and can travel 300 miles and still register a force of 140db.....

so my questions are this..

1.can sound waves be produced louder under water rather than in air?

2.how are they determining/measuring these 235db readings? (is it some mathematical equation for determining SPL)

3.WTF???? 235db?????? wow, i just wanna discuss that haha.

here are some articles i found on the internet.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-military-sonar-kill/

http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/marine/sonar.asp

this is the interview from NPR, it's really interesting, mainly about how smart dolphins are.

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/04/428986235/exploring-the-wild-and-haunting-world-of-dolphins

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Also there is a sea critter that snaps it's "fingers" so loud it knocks out prey.

I think you are talking about the mantis shrimp and it knocks out its prey by punching them but it is so fast you can hear the snap... only a wizard can knock things out with a snap of the fingers

not the mantis shrimp, hes talking about the pistol shrimp

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

^^^ both of you are nerds.

says the one browsing smd while hes in hawaii lol

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

Also there is a sea critter that snaps it's "fingers" so loud it knocks out prey.

I think you are talking about the mantis shrimp and it knocks out its prey by punching them but it is so fast you can hear the snap... only a wizard can knock things out with a snap of the fingers

not the mantis shrimp, hes talking about the pistol shrimp
the mantis and pistol Shrimp both have a similar type of attack.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived