Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

"9000W" rated 3" coil?


hispls

Recommended Posts

Posted

Way too good to be true.

The digital designs Z se​ries woofers have a 3" voice coil and they can withstand 9k watts RMS but that's a $1k+ woofer.

Just ignore it and move ​on.

Posted

Way too good to be true.

The digital designs Z se​ries woofers have a 3" voice coil and they can withstand 9k watts RMS but that's a $1k+ woofer.

Just ignore it and move ​on.

Plenty of competition level subs can take 9K for 3 seconds. DD-Z the top tier driver for what it is, but long term thermal power handling I'd be willing to bet that most of the huge 4" coil "team" woofers would outlast it.

Its also a Chinese coil, think I left that part out.

I know Jacob from Sundown explored something similar, possibly the same thing and was not liking it iirc.

That rather makes me doubt it's reliability. AFAIK every top tier sub uses American made coils. You said you bought one, any interest in selling/trading it so I can test it?

Posted

just because it can take 9k for a sec doesnt make it a good rating. If i rememeber right Rusty was running 20k burps on the m1 lvl 5 18s per sub in his van. But it wont hold that musically

Posted

Yea I got one.

I wanted to test it out since after buying it and just feeling it in my hand it felt chincy to me.

Was going to use them in my Fi BTL UFO subs, but was sketchy so I only bought the one to check out before dumping a lot of money on parts.

I was curious to test it myself, but I need to get my hands on a decent motor with great cooling to give the coil the best possible chance on handling anything close to its rating. Something like a sundown nightshade v2 or a zv4 ot a older dd 9500 F or H motor would be perfect I figured.

I have 4 saz-4500s in my truck so powering it to its rated limits shouldnt be a problem.

But if you want to give it a go, be my guess. Does $20 sound good to cover shipping expenses?

This is just part of the convo I had with the guy that owns/sells the stuff.

z0Io7X.png

Here is the coil I got from him.

Yf8V43.jpg

 

 

Posted

Yea I got one.

I wanted to test it out since after buying it and just feeling it in my hand it felt chincy to me.

Was going to use them in my Fi BTL UFO subs, but was sketchy so I only bought the one to check out before dumping a lot of money on parts.

I was curious to test it myself, but I need to get my hands on a decent motor with great cooling to give the coil the best possible chance on handling anything close to its rating. Something like a sundown nightshade v2 or a zv4 ot a older dd 9500 F or H motor would be perfect I figured.

I have 4 saz-4500s in my truck so powering it to its rated limits shouldnt be a problem.

But if you want to give it a go, be my guess. Does $20 sound good to cover shipping expenses?

This is just part of the convo I had with the guy that owns/sells the stuff.

z0Io7X.png

Here is the coil I got from him.

Yf8V43.jpg

My big amp is broken but there's a number of NS1's and other 5K's in the area I can test with and access to some motors that should work. Frankly if it will hold a 4KW sine wave for 10 minutes in an inferior (cooling design) motor I'd consider it a huge victory. I don't expect 9K in a million years but it'll be interesting to see what it'll actually hold. It will also be very interesting to see if the coil fails before my RP4000 glue!

20$ is good. I do NOT have a personal paypal account and can't justify this as a business expense. PM me your address and I will send a money order, or if you can use .40 S&W or Russian made .223 Rem I can send you a couple boxes of cartridges in trade.

Posted

There is also conversations on CACO about this coil. Jeffhulbert purchased one and did a review, pretty much its a solid coil, with high temp rating, but you cant feasibly give a coil alone an RMS rating because it is SUPER STRICTLY motor dependent as Audiofanaticz pointed out. I think 9000 is more like a max rating on a amp, it looks good and most people dont have the means to prove it wrong so they just believe it. its a solid coil without a doubt, ive seen the use of the black high temp glue now in other coils that claim crazy heat tolerance, so it does have some ground to stand for, just no 9k RMS

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2941 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...