Alt whine or fuel pump?

If I disconnect the alternator will I get any whine from anything else or should it be eliminated at that point? Trying to track this down and want to eliminate weather or not I am hearing my fuel pump/fuel pump starting to go maybe?

No need to disconnect it.

Listen to the radio with the key in the on position but the car off, if the noise is still present there is no way it can be the alt since the car isn't running.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I am 100% sure I have an alt whine issue, but in troubleshooting this I have detected another whine that sounds strikingly similar with speakers disconnected, all audio equipment off but does not change with engine noise. I think this whine has finally made me a certifiable nut job!

image.png

If you want to know if it's the fuel Pump it's not too hard to put your head in the general area of the gas tank.

Or get a gauge and check fuel pressure.

What vehicle?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

No need to disconnect it.

Listen to the radio with the key in the on position but the car off, if the noise is still present there is no way it can be the alt since the car isn't running.

Yeah, but my fuel pump is also off in this mode so that doesn't help eliminate that noise. if I can eliminate or specifically target the additional whine I can fix or write it off the goose chase.

Go ahead disconnect your alt and start your car and watch what happens.

Go ahead disconnect your alt and start your car and watch what happens.

Shhhh..... I wanna see the funny.

Archived