Welding Wire

I'm curious what you guys think about welding wire and if it would be good for a buddy's install. He's going to be running a SQ 4500.1 amp.

I found this stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELDING-CABLE-1-AWG-50-25-BLACK-25-RED-CAR-BATTERY-LEADS-USA-NEW-Gauge-Copper-/261089675753?hash=item3cca2849e9

It looks like a good deal, pure copper and it seems to be stranded so it should be flexable and it has oil/flame resistant insulation. I've been told by other people that it's a good option and you won't have to worry about corrosion as long as you properly seal your connections. Is there a reason I should sway away from welding wire or is this a pretty viable option to save a good amount of money?

Nothing wrong with welding wire so long as it's 100% copper.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

We just had this conversation, last week. In the end, from what I understand, it's going cost more or the same as name brand ofc. Do to the fact you have to run 2/0 welding wire Vs 1/0 ofc for the same power.

Pioneer avn p4004 dvd for now

Jl e4300 replaced

Polk audio 4000.4 high & mids for now

Titanium 2000.1 subs amp for now

Crescendo BC2000D on the way 9/11 home at last

Infinity kappa 52.71

Infinity 3032cf

2 Memphis c3 15 d4

We just had this conversation, last week. In the end, from what I understand, it's going cost more or the same as name brand ofc. Do to the fact you have to run 2/0 welding wire Vs 1/0 ofc for the same power.

The stuff I linked is 240A while the name brand is 250A from what i've read.

[quo te name=TaylorFade" post="3027934" timestamp="1442205707]

my cuisine works at airgas he told me to compare to audio wire you have to up size like 2/0 welding=1/0 audio wire.I do know my shca 1/0 is bigger then the 2/0 welding he carries

1/0 "car auido" is roughly equivalent to 2/0 welding. That's true. Well, the good brands anyway.

The difference between 1/0 and 2/0 is about a 15% increase in ampacity. Or what would amount to an additional .2v of voltage drop @ 300A @ 20ft.

I have seen, a few of the high power guys on Here running welding wire. So if that's any indication, of whether or not it can be used I think the answer is clear. as far as the question that was asked, I don't personally see it being a cost-effective way to save money. I'm actually in the same boat I need to upgrade my wiring, i was looking at the welding wire, as well.

Pioneer avn p4004 dvd for now

Jl e4300 replaced

Polk audio 4000.4 high & mids for now

Titanium 2000.1 subs amp for now

Crescendo BC2000D on the way 9/11 home at last

Infinity kappa 52.71

Infinity 3032cf

2 Memphis c3 15 d4

While I admit it's tough to tell from pictures, that doesn't look like true 0awg to me. Let alone the oversized 0awg you see from a lot of quality name brands.

Secondly, though it doesn't look too terribly bad, the strand count isn't super high. Meaning it won't be ultra flexible. Which become more and more of an issue the larger the wire is. Running 0awg through a vehicle that's not flexible sucks nutsack.

If he can afford a SQ4500.1 and all that comes with it, he can afford an extra 100 bucks for quality shit.

EDIT: If the sizing theory posted above is true... than this would be equivalent to 2awg? Looks about right honestly....

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

i ran that brand before, and yes like others have said, 2/0 wire is more comparable to car audio 0 gauge. i had the chance to personally go down there to get my wire and compare 0 gauge vs 2/0 gauge. i took a 0 gauge ring lug and a sky high fuse box, the 0 gauge fit in way to loose in there and 2/0 just barely fit, i went with 2/0.

at the time i compared 2/0 welding wire to be a bit bigger than stinger 0 gauge ofc and about the same with kicker 0 gauge wire. would i run it again yes. is it flexible not so much like car audio wire. but if your running wire underneath the car and need heat protection i would use it in a heartbeat.

The stuff I linked is 240A while the name brand is 250A from what i've read.

1/0 car audio wire (the good stuff)is usually rated for 350 amps.

I don't know if you noticed but the stuff you listed is 1 awg not 1/0 awg.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

dat crimper tho (in the link)

I know lots that use welding cable also. It's ok stuff, just depends if you can get it for a good price and if the load you want to run/use for it is adequate.

yes, sizes don't line up with car audio cable but that's already been explained.

More runs? not worth it.

buy 4/0

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived