2008 Denali w/ Singer, 6k... Disclaimer: Nothing installed yet

So I am still in the acquisition and planning phase and this is going to be very slow... I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year, but I've got some pics of my first few items so I thought I'd start this....

This is just a daily, I have never competed or anything and I suppose I might get it metered once I'm done but really I just like it loud.

I have a 2008 Denali, pretty much stock now, I have a 1/0 power run under the carpet and some other things run from previous setup as well as some Q Logic kick panels with some currently unpowered kicker 5.25 components in them, but basically intend to start from scratch with this plan. This is not my first audio build, and not my first box build but I am definitely moving up in power range and while I feel like I've learned a lot spending time on the site, I know there's much more to know, so opinions and advice always welcome.

I'm taking inspiration from build logs and posts from Karkov, 08Tahoe, jsmoov777/corona_jeff's current tahoe build in progress as well as many others...

So the plan for now, some things still subject to change:

Things I have:

Singer 270

(2) XS D3400s (for underhood)

SHCA 1/0, battery terminals, etc..

Deadener

and the amp I've been dreaming about for a long time

Sundown SCV-6000D

Things I plan to get:

Pioneer AVH-4100NEX

new components for kick panels

new front door speakers

maybe new 4 ch amp (I have a kicker zx200.4 that I'll use first before I decide)

2-3 XP3000s

and finally

(2) 18" AA Mayhems

I intend to build an 11ish net cube box tuned around 33

I'll get some pics of the ride later... but for now here's what I got...

F1317940-A9DE-4B5E-979E-490832B9CC14_zps

56E495B7-6568-4850-AE5C-1615A83B1AB8_zps77A89213-4B8F-4B46-B80F-880555294C93_zps

2008 Denali

Singer 270

2 XS D3400s under hood

Sundown SCV-6000D

SHCA 1/0

Q Logic Kickpanels - lame 5.25 components for now

Planning/acquiring everything else

Thats my dream build vehicle right there, parents used to have a 2007 XL and I figured what could be a better vehicle? Auto-leveling suspension out of the factory and plenty of room/power. One day...

Kenwood KVT-614

(4) Marathon 155 AH batts

2/0 OFC SHCA

Mechman 370

(2) Audioque 3500.1

(2) AA Mayhem 15s

Nice equipment bro! Watch out for that pcm control on the alternator. I run a double alternator setup to get around it. Running the system separate from the factory charging

Exactly what I was going to say. It's the reason im going triple.

I'm going to start installing little by little, first... hopefully in the next couple weeks, the alt will go in with the new underhood batts and big 3... then i'll probably deaden, install head unit and run wire at the same time soon after that, then finally box build etc... Wife might go nuts if I stack EVERYTHING up, plus once it gets installed its sunk cost right? She won't catch on to how expensive this hobby really is... maybe.. might be too late though, her jaw hit the floor when I told her what that 6k cost.

I had a lot of back and forth with Singer about what to do, his eventual recommendation was to stick with PCM control for now, even though its not ideal. He made its sound as if as long as I was passing a load through the computer the PCM would keep it running... so if I run the A/C 100% of the time it would keep up. I've been paying close attention to the factory dash voltmeter (whatever thats worth) lately to try and understand what the PCM is doing firsthand and in my case it seems to be charging just above 14 most of the time, not that I never see it drop, I just can't seem to isolate what causes it. My previous setup (albeit only 1500rms) seemed to always remain above 14 according to the stinger voltmeter I had on factory electrical (no big 3 either). I didn't really want to go dual right off the bat (for starters, because my factory alternator needs to be replaced anyway.. seemed like putting a 270 in there was a good option). Side Note: I was never going to let them do it because I was always going to do it myself even if I just replaced factory, but the stealership wanted 1000 of my dollars to put a new 160 in there.

Anyway, I do expect to find some hurdles in getting voltage where I want it, and duals may be my eventual resolution. My plan is to use 2/0 through the ground sensor for big 3 and maybe squeeze an additional 8 gauge or 2 run(s) battery to body ground if it will fit through there, just trying to get as much on that sensor as possible. Because if I understand correctly (from reading other build logs) my underhood grounds MUST go through that sensor or the PCM will definitely do things I don't want it to. Being aware of these issues is another reason I went with the SCV, I figured if I was destined to hang out in the 12s, this amp would serve me well in that situation.

I've tried my best to understand the GM/PCM/AftermarketAlt issues but I'd love additional advice if I'm way off or crazy... but thats my plan for now.

2008 Denali

Singer 270

2 XS D3400s under hood

Sundown SCV-6000D

SHCA 1/0

Q Logic Kickpanels - lame 5.25 components for now

Planning/acquiring everything else

Archived