Plywood Storage Rack

Up until now, I've stored my sheet goods just flat on the floor, in the unused area behind my wood shop. I have to store sheet goods flat, if I store them on edge it's just a recipe for warps with all the humidity swings we get where I live. Inevitably I end up needing the sheet that is 2/3 down the stack, which is a real pain in the ass. I finally got fed up with this and decided to build a storage rack. Here is what I came up with:

z3EunXH.jpg

It's built entirely out of 8' & 10' 2x4's. I tried to find someone else online who has built something like this so I could learn from their design, but I wasn't able to find anything, so I ended up just winging it. It's probably over built, but that's better than the opposite problem, IMO. I used triple thick laminations of 2x4's for the front horizontal supports and double thick laminations everywhere else. The back horizontal support are bolted to the wall so I'm not worried about them sagging. The shelves are 12-5/8" apart, a stack of MDF 12" high weighs about 1500 lbs. so they need to be able to support quite a bit a of weight.

Here are some construction pics:

9fOMax3.jpg

yzj817t.jpg

igr7nxR.jpg

z0wqxNQ.jpg

I have about $200 worth of materials into this project, but its totally been worth it. It doesn't take up much more space than the sheets did sitting on the floor and I can store LOTs more material and still be able to get to most of it easily. I also gained some general storage space on top.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I like the giant stack of circles from sub cutouts lol.

Shelf looks nice and strong.

It's actually pretty much identical to the way I've built aquarium stands.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I like the giant stack of circles from sub cutouts lol.

Shelf looks nice and strong.

It's actually pretty much identical to the way I've built aquarium stands.

Lol, that's only one of my giant stacks of cutout circles. I need to have a bonfire. :-)

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived