Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Who all makes 6.5" subs?


scooter99

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've used the Tang Band 6.5" subs with success.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I have a pair of M38's, and although I was thinking of using those, I am just looking for other options. I looked at the DD, it looks pretty beefy. I liked the Massive sub also.

I'm thinking of trying to squeeze them under my rear seat. The 8 is just too much sub to do that. So that's why I was looking into a smaller sub. I'm thinking about 6 of these along the front under the seat. I'm not ever going to compete, so no real need for a huge system. I want nice, but still big type bass when I desire. So a smaller sub seems like just the thing for what I'm thinking about doing. I'm still debating on if I want sealed or ported. I think ported is doable, which means a larger enclosure of course.

So I'm still playing with ideas, but I keep coming back to this one, where I have multiple smaller subs under the rear seat. This was what I wanted originally, however, with 8's. The problem, again with the Superduty platform up until 08+ I think, is the large rise under the rear seat, where the floor raises up about 4-5" from the floor in front of it. If it was like a GM vehicle, and that's the ONLY thing I like different about them, and it had the flat floor, then I'd have no problem with it. But in this case, I either need to raise the seat up, which in order to get an 8 under the seat and sit nicely I'd have to raise it up about 4", or I would need to just completely rebuild the rear seat as an enclosure, and still have it fully functional, comfortable, and safe for my kids to ride on. I'm not 100% confident that I can make that happen. However, if I can do it with a 6.5" sub, I'd only need to go up about 2" for it to work.

Lots to figure out. I think the DD and the Sundown (which would be an extremely last resort) have too large of motors, but I'm going to make a mock up of them and see if they'll work or not. I like the Massive, Sumo64. It doesn't have quite the sized motor as those two. I'll look into the others as well.

Posted

I just picked up a DD SW6.5, and for a 6.5 I'm really impressed. It will play down to mid 20s really well. Haven't tried it in a car yet but I'll probably throw it in my trunk and meter it here soon. Just need to borrow the TL sometime.

What size enclosure are you using?

Posted

Pair of decent 8's should do well under the back seat. If you need to, add risers under the rails ;) My back seat is lifted a little to make room for amps. You would never notice

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Posted

I just picked up a DD SW6.5, and for a 6.5 I'm really impressed. It will play down to mid 20s really well. Haven't tried it in a car yet but I'll probably throw it in my trunk and meter it here soon. Just need to borrow the TL sometime.

What size enclosure are you using?

.8 ft^3, tuned to 35hz. And with a lot more power than the sub can handle on tap.

Posted

I have a pair of M38's, and although I was thinking of using those, I am just looking for other options. I looked at the DD, it looks pretty beefy. I liked the Massive sub also.

I'm thinking of trying to squeeze them under my rear seat. The 8 is just too much sub to do that. So that's why I was looking into a smaller sub. I'm thinking about 6 of these along the front under the seat. I'm not ever going to compete, so no real need for a huge system. I want nice, but still big type bass when I desire. So a smaller sub seems like just the thing for what I'm thinking about doing. I'm still debating on if I want sealed or ported. I think ported is doable, which means a larger enclosure of course.

So I'm still playing with ideas, but I keep coming back to this one, where I have multiple smaller subs under the rear seat. This was what I wanted originally, however, with 8's. The problem, again with the Superduty platform up until 08+ I think, is the large rise under the rear seat, where the floor raises up about 4-5" from the floor in front of it. If it was like a GM vehicle, and that's the ONLY thing I like different about them, and it had the flat floor, then I'd have no problem with it. But in this case, I either need to raise the seat up, which in order to get an 8 under the seat and sit nicely I'd have to raise it up about 4", or I would need to just completely rebuild the rear seat as an enclosure, and still have it fully functional, comfortable, and safe for my kids to ride on. I'm not 100% confident that I can make that happen. However, if I can do it with a 6.5" sub, I'd only need to go up about 2" for it to work.

Lots to figure out. I think the DD and the Sundown (which would be an extremely last resort) have too large of motors, but I'm going to make a mock up of them and see if they'll work or not. I like the Massive, Sumo64. It doesn't have quite the sized motor as those two. I'll look into the others as well.

I would probably try to do ported if you can. The Tang Band 6.5" I used I ended up with four under the rear seat of a crew cab F-150. That was all that would fit. Four of those has just slightly more cone area than a single 12" sub does, so performance is going to be roughly similar. You may want to adjust your expectations for what you are going to achieve accordingly.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I don't know if it was mentioned but I just saw that JL audio makes a 6.5 also.

Still learning but have started gathering.

Posted

Pair of decent 8's should do well under the back seat. If you need to, add risers under the rails ;) My back seat is lifted a little to make room for amps. You would never notice

How high did you lift it? I've seen the 2" risers for the super duties. I'm just still not sure I can get these 8's under there. I thought you had all of the amps for the truck in the back on the enclosure? Or did you change it up again? I haven't seen anything since you had those HiFonics back there. I'm sure I'm way behind on it.

You know, i should just come hook up with you and pick your brain. You're a busy guy though, which I get.

I just picked up a DD SW6.5, and for a 6.5 I'm really impressed. It will play down to mid 20s really well. Haven't tried it in a car yet but I'll probably throw it in my trunk and meter it here soon. Just need to borrow the TL sometime.

What size enclosure are you using?

.8 ft^3, tuned to 35hz. And with a lot more power than the sub can handle on tap.

That's for one?

I would probably try to do ported if you can. The Tang Band 6.5" I used I ended up with four under the rear seat of a crew cab F-150. That was all that would fit. Four of those has just slightly more cone area than a single 12" sub does, so performance is going to be roughly similar. You may want to adjust your expectations for what you are going to achieve accordingly.

I definitely would like ported. I'm always trying to adjust my expectations, lol. Always seems that when i think of a design or something I'd really like to do, I find out it's not possible or it's an extraordinary amount of work and not worth it. So it's an ever evolving process. I always am trying to think outside of the box, which is usually an issue.

Posted

I don't know if it was mentioned but I just saw that JL audio makes a 6.5 also.

Yes they do. I'm creating a spreadsheet on 4 subs right now on excel to see how they all compare.

I'm actually surprised, because the Massive, which seemed like it wasn't as big as the DD, is actually the biggest one of the 4 I'm looking at. I'll post it up just a second.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3112 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...