Car kills 30hz, but why?

Toums

Hi!

So I have battled with this problem for a while now. What causes that car kills 30hz. Or I mean like 25-35hz frequency range.My car is a SUV (Kia Sorento). And almost anything I do I lose that frequency range. Or it sound totally horrible. My car peaks at 44-46hz, depending about temperature.
I have had a few box's in that car and always same problem. Different box volymes and tunings. And different sub's also. I've had 1,2, 3 and 4 15"s in the car and now 6 x 12" setup. Tunings i've tried are between 20 and 43hz. Port firing back and up. I havent especially tried a 30hz tuning. It's always been something stupid like 18-20hz or +40hz. I usually tune my amps something like LPF set to 63hz and subsonic to 20hz. Now they are just like that.

I Just dont get it.

I know some vehicles are naturally louder than others and they peak at different frequencys. But my car is a weird one. Have any of U never had same kind of problem? Its not that the 30hz is a must for me. I just wonder is there anything i sould do. I have deadened the outer side of front doors and hatch door.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you try 26-29Hz tuning you should get a peak around 30 somewhere. Have you tried that

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

What amp are you using? How are your filters set?

Check output voltage at the amp at those frequencies and make sure they're not being attenuated.

Other than that... that's just the nature of room nodes. You can try to EQ some of it back in or use the enclosure to reinforce that range.

I've notice if you want lows u want a deep port.

I have had boxes tuned to 30hz with 15" deep port and was lacking lower end

Had another box tuned to 30hz but the port was like 25" deep and had nice Lowww. So my suggestion is try getting a big box with tunning in the 28-32hz with the port being at least 22" deep. Should bring Lowwws to life

c-pillar flat wall 157.11db on music

2 crossfire 8k

4 NSV3 18s

4 crescendo 10s

4 Rockford pro 6.5s

Quad excessive amperage 350alts

4 juicebox 3100s

I've notice if you want lows u want a deep port.

I have had boxes tuned to 30hz with 15" deep port and was lacking lower end

Had another box tuned to 30hz but the port was like 25" deep and had nice Lowww. So my suggestion is try getting a big box with tunning in the 28-32hz with the port being at least 22" deep. Should bring Lowwws to life

?????

As long as the port velocities stay reasonable and tuning is the same, the length of the port doesn't make one bit of difference. A six cube box tuned to 30 Hz with a 15" long port is going to sound exactly the same as a six cube tuned to 30 Hz with a 30" long port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

It's from experience in the boxes I've done and other around me have built. Deep port for lows. I'm telling ya

c-pillar flat wall 157.11db on music

2 crossfire 8k

4 NSV3 18s

4 crescendo 10s

4 Rockford pro 6.5s

Quad excessive amperage 350alts

4 juicebox 3100s

It's from experience in the boxes I've done and other around me have built. Deep port for lows. I'm telling ya

I understand and I'm not saying you are wrong. I just think what you are experiencing is better performance from larger port area, having a longer port is a side effect of increasing port area while keeping tuning the same. So while having a longer port is correlated with better low end performance, the longer port is not the cause of the improvement.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived