Sonic Electronix

The subs will unload if you open the boot. Whether or not it hurts them is dependent on the particular system. People use to open my rear passenger doors when I was giving demos and I had to continually close them. You would smell the woofers unloading in a matter of seconds.

36CFDEF1-F93D-4FA3-9934-64EE2EC94080-2856-0000071FCFA47672.png.ebe82e417eabc5f239a4adf293b099f9.png

Previous 150+ daily rides:

Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470  2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4  x American Bass HD18 walled

SMD - System of The Month August 2008

My Youtube Videos

all winter long with the windows up i banged the hell out of my L7 and the 1st day it got warm outside and had the windows down i blow my sub. i dont blame the windows rolled down maybe to much power but it sounded good until it just stop outta of nowhere.

mycars.jpg

i dont think it matters...i have friends that do it ALL the time and never blow subs. it loses basically all is sound in the car but nothing is hurt.

also whats the difference if it unloads out of an open trunk or with windows down or like when we demo into an open room...thats wide open space. i also hook subs up in my house all the time and no problem...i wouldnt worry about it one bit honestly

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

I've never had a problem with opening the trunk just closing it.... Back in the day I had a pair of mtx 8000 12's in a sealed enclosure, was showing someone-opened trunk-they looked-closed trunk-subs locked up. I have seen this happen with sealed and ported just don't slam the trunk shut after you open it.

Rebuild coming soon

you honestly never know tho. whose to say it doesnt damage the subs simply cause the trunk is open. and you cant really compare that to open windows cause theres still pressure in the trunk whether the windows are down or not. i mean ive been told playin subs free space can damage it. whats the difference between free space and openin the trunk. theres no pressure once the sound leaves the box so its kinda the same concept. i know when i had my volfenhaags theyd literally would not move whenever the trunk was open, but pound the shit out of it the moment i closed it. so idk. i look at it this way. why take the risk you know? id be so pissed to push my subs full tilt just to open the trunk and watch a spring snap(my friend did that to his, that shit was hilarious tho lol)

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

you honestly never know tho. whose to say it doesnt damage the subs simply cause the trunk is open. and you cant really compare that to open windows cause theres still pressure in the trunk whether the windows are down or not. i mean ive been told playin subs free space can damage it. whats the difference between free space and openin the trunk. theres no pressure once the sound leaves the box so its kinda the same concept. i know when i had my volfenhaags theyd literally would not move whenever the trunk was open, but pound the shit out of it the moment i closed it. so idk. i look at it this way. why take the risk you know? id be so pissed to push my subs full tilt just to open the trunk and watch a spring snap(my friend did that to his, that shit was hilarious tho lol)

so your saying theres no difference in free air and an enclosed subwoofer

WRONG. when the subs are in a box they still got the back pressure whether blowing in an open space or an enclosed area...there will be more back pressure inside a closed trunk but the box still does its job.

megalo had his sub playing for 3 hours straight free aired granted it wasnt cranked but no harm was done.

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

Guest MegaloManiac

Well if you bass, and dont want it to change responses with the trunk open or closed, then IB is the solution, Infinite Baffle. Basically you sub is free airing, but the back wave never sees the front wave, so no cancellations happens. To do this you must isolate the baffle so it is completely sealed. no air from the behind the woofer should ever see/reach the air in front of woofer.

When doing IB your power handling is decreased. Lets say you have a 1000 watt sub, in an IB allignment(for number sake) id say the sub could only handle 500watts before it bottoms out.

Whats cool about IB is SQ is pretty intense for the most part and you save space. but people dont like the amount of output it gives. but if you want it be louder just add more drivers :)

well it could hurt somewhat....

heres the problem

when you are opening the windows or doors, your car is actually becoming a bandpass box techincally, until the airspace of the window/door open is big enough to not restrict any airflow... the second you start restricting max amount of air flow, the car becomes a huge bandpass

drive-by spl or bass parade utilizes this idea to maximize spl, finding the perfect port size to match the window opening

when you open the trunk and doors it is not the same as just opening a window/door

this really only applies to trunk cars tho...

this isnt going to cause instant meltdown but when you are talking about trying to gain db, u definately dont open the trunk

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Well if you bass, and dont want it to change responses with the trunk open or closed, then IB is the solution, Infinite Baffle. Basically you sub is free airing, but the back wave never sees the front wave, so no cancellations happens. To do this you must isolate the baffle so it is completely sealed. no air from the behind the woofer should ever see/reach the air in front of woofer.

When doing IB your power handling is decreased. Lets say you have a 1000 watt sub, in an IB allignment(for number sake) id say the sub could only handle 500watts before it bottoms out.

Whats cool about IB is SQ is pretty intense for the most part and you save space. but people dont like the amount of output it gives. but if you want it be louder just add more drivers :)

well if you have an ib and you open the trunk u better hope u arent playing anything loud cause and IB is not the same as free-air

it still utilizes and sealed cabin for the rear wave/backpressure... so if you release that pressure watch the sub move more than u want

*edit - and few of us are as gentle with the volume as megalo :)

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I think it comes down to how you build your system. I can pound the Excursion all day with the back hatch open. I think there might be issues with how a box is built or how it is setup if you have unloading issues with the trunk open

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Archived