Sonic Electronix

what db test tone to use when tuning subs/amp?

Hey -

im trying to tune my amp with test tones (50hz) and im not sure which technique i should use.. ive heard people say to use a 0db test tone and ive also heard NOT to use a 0db but instead use a negative db tone.. -10, -5, etc...

what did you guys use and whats the preferred db level?

thanks

If you're using a tool that allows you to measure the distortion or clipping (DD-1 or oscilloscope is what most people use/can afford), then commonly it's 40hz tone between -5dB and -10dB. -7.5dB is a good level though for most music in my opinion. And it's better to do a sweep of frequencies, starting from the frequency where you subsonic filter is, and going up to you LPF, because not every frequency will distort at the same level. Just my two cents.

If you're setting gains for your maximum clean output and aren't using a tool that measures distortion in a signal, then good luck to you

I usually set my gain rather conservatively with a 40hz -2.5dB tone for daily listening.
When i compete i always set my gain using the dbDrag cd which i believe is recorded at 0dBfs.

Current setup

DD Z318 Extra Stiff, Kevlar cone, Double top plate x2

Banda Viking 10k x2

5 Banks of Maxwell 2.85v 3400F caps

Build log Termpro Profile

I choose the freq that my systems peaks at, which is usually 30hz'ish mids and highs turned off. If no oscope or distortion tester go for the ol listen test route and try to hear for the sub begging for mercy.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived