Second Skin Audio

Passive radiators

Hello, so I have a build in mind for a passive radiator enclosure for the crescendo audio forte 15" I emailed psi audio asking them about what there opinion was and they suggested 2 15" radiators which makes perfect sense and they told me to go with 5.5-6.0 cu ft after the displacement of my subwoofer and both psi radiators and tuning can be as my preference to change by the mass added to the radiators but what im wondering is does anybody have any experience in making passive radiator boxes and does anyone have any suggestions for how I should build this or if you believe you have a better estimate for size of the box in the end im looking a as much sq I can get out of the system as possible for the price im not interested in a dofferent sub or different radiators just need some suggestions

5.5 - 6.0 cubes is awfully big for a single 15".

Have you tried modeling the output in any box simulation software to see what kind of frequency response you are going to get?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I thought radiators were to help if the box was too small, like the big bad SMD towers? The highest tuning would be the box with no radiators and go down from there?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I thought radiators were to help if the box was too small, like the big bad SMD towers? The highest tuning would be the box with no radiators and go down from there?

The box with no radiators would be a sealed box, the highest tuning you can get would be just the PRs without any weight added to them. Adding weight lowers the tuning from there. What frequency they start off at with no weight depends on the specs of the PRs and the size of the box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Have you tried modeling the output in any box simulation software to see what kind of frequency response you are going to get?

I got the 5.5-6.0 cu ft estimate from psi so I assume there reasonably correct seeing as how it's their radiator and unfortunately my dog has recently chewed through my laptop charger and im left with no computer but friends ones occasionally but I would love to put it in winisd 8 or something it's 2 psi passive radiators 15" and a crescendo forte 15" also I can post full specs of the radiators in just a moment

Yes, to my understanding it is small as compared to the vented enclosure seeing as how a PR takes place of a vent I would compare the box sizes and the pr box would achieve lower, flatter response in a smaller box than with port also never have port noise

Very interesting. The PR would cause the driven cone to unload more and act like the box is bigger. And give some value of output gain at the same time. I wouldn't know what to do with T/S of a PR but would suspect that some values would aid and some attenuate the corresponding values of the driven cone. I will stay tuned to see if someone will stop by and drop some gold nuggets on us.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I got the 5.5-6.0 cu ft estimate from psi so I assume there reasonably correct seeing as how it's their radiator and unfortunately my dog has recently chewed through my laptop charger and im left with no computer but friends ones occasionally but I would love to put it in winisd 8 or something it's 2 psi passive radiators 15" and a crescendo forte 15" also I can post full specs of the radiators in just a moment

The box should be built according to the woofer's specs, not the PR's.

Can you also post the woofers T/S parameters?

Archived