Sonic Electronix

Maybe time for a wall soon?

IMO a pair of decent 3500's would be the way to go with 4 xfl's, sundown, dc, crescendo, ampere etc.

i know youve got a lot of experience with the xfls, so i ask this not as an insult to your brain, but dont you think a 3500 will be way overpowering for a pair of xfls?

I say go for it, but I'd run more power, my old set up was 8 xfl 12"s on 4 bc3500's and it did a 158.9 in the kick

I loved reading your entire BL too Bighoss, it was a great encourager for my choice in the XFLs.

I know SMD hates to read this, but could I run the 2 ph4000s initially and then further down the road step up to a big, single, 0.5ohm stable amp? if so, what would be a good choice for an amp to do 4k-5k rms at 0.5 ohm? Obviously I'll be on a budget so I think let's keep it under 1000 for the amp if possible?

If you want to do the work, and can live with it, then why not wall it? It's perfectly fine to run lower power, just set gains correctly and don't try to push them harder than they can handle. And go with 1ohm, the amp may be a little more (shop used) but electrical will be less, which costs more. Plus it's easier on the equipment and your ears.
You think a 1 ohm amp would be ok with 4 4 ohm dvcs wired down to 0.5? would i be safe because of box rise and all that black magic?

an I'd love to do the work, i enjoy it. I wonder if anyone could comment on the best style/size enclosure for me?

I think he was saying wire your amp to 1ohm when you get a larger one. But seeing at that isn't an option for your voice coils if you get two more 4ohm DVC's, I personally would suggest an amp that puts out the power you need at 2ohm. But that's me.
A single amp that puts out 4-5K at 2 ohms? You better open up your wallet. You'd STILL come in cheaper with buying the .5 ohm amp AND beefing electrical before finding a 4-5K 2 ohm amp.

No one said amplifier efficiency was cheap. Nothing worthwhile ever is cheap.

Plus, with all of the money people put towards their electrical to run at .5, .33, or however close to a dead short they can get now, they could have put that towards a larger amp that will put out what they want at a higher load, make the amp more efficient, probably giving them better/larger power output on more suitable alt power. But no, everyone is too worried about rise, rather than taking care of the equipment and running it the way it was meant to be.

Do you even KNOW an amp that puts out 4-5K at 2 ohms? Without research do you? I know some but I wouldn't run them at 2 ohms. I'd run them at 1 or less otherwise you're wasting money on an amp you don't need AND leaving a lot of power on the table.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

On another note, let's bring up that rise monster. Rise will be an unknown in this build as of now. So if you suggest a bigass 2 ohm amp(which is an 8K btw), and say he's rising to 4-5 ohms, that big 8K he bought to supply 4-5K at 2 ohms is now making maybe 2-3K. It's the reason why I would not suggest running at 2 ohms. Run 1 or less on substage, that's what these big mono amps are for.

Or buy a Brazilian power inverter.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Without research, I'd say probably 7-8kW amps. I don't have any names of amps specifically, because I do not care to run 4-5k at 2ohm right now, so I haven't researched that.

Do you even KNOW how much the difference in performance will be between spending two grand on batteries and alts to run 5k below 1ohm "safely" :rofl:, with an amp that IS going to fry eventually anyways as time has shown again and again because of the extra current being drawn at that low load that it can't handle, vs buying the right amp to run more efficiently, have a longer life, less issues.

I must have missed the part in this hobby where wiring at one ohm or lower meant that there was no rise?

So buying an amp that puts out close to the power you want at 1ohm, but you have to wire to .5 because of subs, great, now you have a couple hundred extra watts at your lowest reactive. But you still rise, and generate more heat, causing less efficiency, so after a while of beating for demos or a road trip or if you're in some kind of competition that lasts more than 30seconds, and everything gets hotter and hotter, you're making less and less power at that .5ohm you're wired to.

Archived