Second Skin Audio

sub started making weird sound

unhook speakers... set DMM to Volts AC, connect the DMM to the speaker out terminals on the amp, play a tone that you wish to set the SSF to and turn the adjustment until the volt reading drops.... set the volume on the HU at like 25-50% when the volts starts dropping you hit the starting point of the filter as to how far you need to go is beyond me because it should be like a crossover and does not filter out everything at that number the slope just starts there

Ok found a tutorial on setting subsonic filter on this site. Great info. It basically said that the sub/enclosure can safely play half an octave below the hertz its tuned for. So if mine is set to 35hz. I find that half an octave is 26hz. 35 / 2 =17.5 and then 17.5 /2= 8.75...so 35-8.75= 26.25..rounded down to 26hz. So set my subsonic to 26hz. My american bass ph4000md has a subsonic 10-50hz. Starts at 10 leftmost...to 50 rightmost..so if i set it straight vertical that should be 25hz...can i do a tick or 2 right most and im at 26..27hz?

you can do that but it will be less accurate than using a DMM. Just because the numbers on the amp say that would be ~26hz, potentiometers have tolerance which makes it a little inaccurate, so I would suggest using the DMM at a minimum. Also, keep in mind that while the half octave below tuning is a "good" rule of thumb, it's not flawless. You may start unloading at a higher frequency closer to tuning, and even more with the car windows down. So it's a good idea to keep listening, and adjust the SSF accordingly, or just turn the volume down when it happens.

What size is your box and what are the dimensions of your port?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Ok found a tutorial on setting subsonic filter on this site. Great info. It basically said that the sub/enclosure can safely play half an octave below the hertz its tuned for. So if mine is set to 35hz. I find that half an octave is 26hz. 35 / 2 =17.5 and then 17.5 /2= 8.75...so 35-8.75= 26.25..rounded down to 26hz. So set my subsonic to 26hz. My american bass ph4000md has a subsonic 10-50hz. Starts at 10 leftmost...to 50 rightmost..so if i set it straight vertical that should be 25hz...can i do a tick or 2 right most and im at 26..27hz?

Here is how i set my ssf and lpf.....

Make sure ur gain is set correctly then with ur subs hooked up and ssf on its lowest setting and lpf on its highest setting play a 70 hz test tone with HU volume 25% with ur DMM on a/c volts measure voltage at ur speaker inputs on amp. What ever that voltage is times that by .707 then turn ur lpf down till u get that voltage on ur dmm. Do the same for ur ssf play 26 hz test tone read a/c voltage and times .707 turn ur ssf up till u read that voltage and ur done. Im tuned to 35hz and my ssf is set at 30hz but to each its own.

Make sure ur gain is set correctly then with ur subs hooked up and ssf on its lowest setting and lpf on its highest setting play a 70 hz test tone with HU volume 25% with ur DMM on a/c volts measure voltage at ur speaker inputs on amp. What ever that voltage is times that by .707 then turn ur lpf down till u get that voltage on ur dmm. Do the same for ur ssf play 26 hz test tone read a/c voltage and times .707 turn ur ssf up till u read that voltage and ur done. Im tuned to 35hz and my ssf is set at 30hz but to each its own.

Bayuk89...i followed ur method. About to test. I was wondering if i am gonna set the lpf at 80...do i still multiply that voltage by .707 or .808?

Bayuk89...i followed ur method. About to test. I was wondering if i am gonna set the lpf at 80...do i still multiply that voltage by .707 or .808?

Its still .707

Set everything up and the issue persisted. I noticed the amp goes into protect when its happening. So for that split second that the sub burps the amp light goes from blue to red. Not sure what went wrong but this was not happening before. Any ideas?

This might sound silly but its a GREAT idea to double check ur power and ground wires and connections. Having a bad ground or power wire the connection the electricity has to "jump" across the bad connection, another thing u can do is feel ur power and ground wires, if its getting hot chances are ur wire is shorting out.

Last thing is to disconnect the neg battery terminal and then remove ur amp, take the cover off and look for any loose or obvious bad circut

Check for hot connections. If you have a bad connection then it will get hot due to the increased resistance. If you measure voltage across a connection under load then it is bad. If you have a wire getting hot then it is too small.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived