Bryton Guernsey Posted March 2, 2016 Report Posted March 2, 2016 I am very new to most things car audio, and being new I am not really looking to build a box to the exact specifications of my subwoofers manual. I would like to find something as close as I can get however. and I'm looking for suggestions. The sub is wired to 2 ohms My setup is Subwoofer: http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/sws-12d4 Amp: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D8601 Box: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-12-single-ported-subwoofer-enclosure-charcoal/6504011.p?id=1218747923938&skuId=6504011 I am completely oblivious to whether my current box is even close to what my sub should have. It was just what was available and cheap with my discount. I'm looking for something close to the manufacturer's recommended specs (if they are whats best). The specifications can be found on the right side of page three of the manual in this link. I'm looking for the Vented box. https://www.manualowl.com/m/Alpine/SWS-12D4/Manual/276124 Thanks in advance for any help guys its very much appreciated!
Bryton Guernsey Posted March 2, 2016 Author Report Posted March 2, 2016 woops double post, i have no idea how to delete this
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 5, 2016 Report Posted March 5, 2016 There really aren't a lot of specs on that prefab box, so it's hard so say how appropriate it is for your subs. Also, manufacture's box specs aren't always going to give you the best performance, this is especially true with Alpine. If you have the means and desire to build your own box, that what will probably work best. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Chrisj10012 Posted March 8, 2016 Report Posted March 8, 2016 I have the same sub and use to have that same box too http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191926-looking-for-help-designing-box/
Mrcrdi72 Posted November 9, 2018 Report Posted November 9, 2018 I built a box for that woofer also (sws-12d4). I just need to vent it, but I'm confused on the specs. Vent area 12.5squared (12.5x1) then I see vent legnth 18". Does that 18 represent how long the tube is inside the box.
Joe X Posted November 9, 2018 Report Posted November 9, 2018 That 18" would be the length but the 12.5 sqin of port area is too small for that sub.
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 9, 2018 Report Posted November 9, 2018 1 hour ago, Mrcrdi72 said: I built a box for that woofer also (sws-12d4). I just need to vent it, but I'm confused on the specs. Vent area 12.5squared (12.5x1) then I see vent legnth 18". Does that 18 represent how long the tube is inside the box. Yes, 18" would be the length of the vent inside the box. I'll warn you though, Alpine seriously undersizes their port dimensions. If you want to build a ported box for your sub, let us know how much power you are running and we can give you better port specs. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Jmh219 Posted April 9, 2019 Report Posted April 9, 2019 On 11/8/2018 at 7:30 PM, Triticum Agricolam said: Yes, 18" would be the length of the vent inside the box. I'll warn you though, Alpine seriously undersizes their port dimensions. If you want to build a ported box for your sub, let us know how much power you are running and we can give you better port specs. I have this sub, a 12” 4ohm. I have a custom sealed box to those specs but I’m wanting to go with a ported box. I’ll probably use abs to port it. What displacement should the port be? Should it actually be 18” in length?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.