Second Skin Audio

2 12's Or 1 12

need some advice and opinions. I been trying to decide what to do for a while and im tossin around the ideas of 1 decent 12 in a nice ported box or 2 lower end 12s in a small sealed box to go in the back of my silverado extended cab. Not lookin to spend much, around the $200 range. my kenwood amp will push 500 rms@4 ohms 900rms @ 2 ohms. id like to be able to run it at 2 ohms to get more out of it so would something like a 12'' kicker l5 or l7 in a ported box be better or 2 cheaper 12's in a smaller sealed box something in the range of cvrs or mtx 4500s.

2012 silverado ext cab ltz

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

Iraggi Alt + stock alt in a DC power dual alternator kit

Yellowtop+stock under hood

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

4 gauge stinger (4 chan wiring)

3 DC 10'' LVL3 with LVL4 parts

Depends on what you are wanting. How many cubic feet are you willing to dedicate? this will be a big factor.

I have had my CVR's sealed and ported and they surely prefer the ported box. Would you be interested in 2 shallow mount subs?

Lots of options depending on the sound you want.

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN

Depends on what you are wanting. How many cubic feet are you willing to dedicate? this will be a big factor.

I have had my CVR's sealed and ported and they surely prefer the ported box. Would you be interested in 2 shallow mount subs?

Lots of options depending on the sound you want.

i like it fairly loud and nice lows... just good all around bass... im used to my 15'' eclipse sub which hit real hard and low. if i get 2 12's they will go in a small sealed box under the rear seats and ill be getting just about .9-1 cu ft for each sub and if i do 1 12 im willing to sacrafice one side of the backseat id be building my own ported box to make it fit.

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

From what I can remember originally he had a 15 and figured 2 12's with more cone would be louder (am i right or wrong...?) I think he wants the most bang for the buck with the amp he's got. He'd be using the entire rear for a single 12 ported using the rear under the seat...

I told him that 2 cvrs unless you get enough air in a sealed box won't sound as good as a 12 in a properly ported box...is that statement right or am I giving the poor guy bad advice?

if you wanna get louder...you'd be better off getting 2 lower 12's with the same power as you'd put to 1 12. like...450 a piece compared to 900 on one, cuz with the same power, the pair would be louder since they have more cone area

From what I can remember originally he had a 15 and figured 2 12's with more cone would be louder (am i right or wrong...?) I think he wants the most bang for the buck with the amp he's got. He'd be using the entire rear for a single 12 ported using the rear under the seat...

I told him that 2 cvrs unless you get enough air in a sealed box won't sound as good as a 12 in a properly ported box...is that statement right or am I giving the poor guy bad advice?

yea aquill knows the situation better than i do myself... exactly what i want ... most bang for my buck with my current amp but without sacraficing my whole passenger area in the back

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

if you wanna get louder...you'd be better off getting 2 lower 12's with the same power as you'd put to 1 12. like...450 a piece compared to 900 on one, cuz with the same power, the pair would be louder since they have more cone area

So a L7 in a proper ported box wouldn't be louder?

What subs sound good with 1cuft or less sealed that are around that price?

I liked the pioneer shallows but they don't hit deep imo...

so far L7 sounds like your best option with that amp and staying in a decent price range with a single sub setup. Of course you can check out DC audio and get some lvl2's or 3's.

I have my CVR's [at the moment] in a modified prefab box giving them about 500rms each and they are louder than most prefab ported box's around my area. but I do think you will be better off with 2 12's sealed vs 1 ported.

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN