mach 1 460 watt factory system

My wife wants to upgrade her radio and from what i read the ford mach 1 460 watt factory sound system is a bitch to wire up. Her car is a 2001 ford mustang GT anyone wire up an aftermarket HU with the factory system ? Its NOT a plug and play with a wiring harness adapter.

If it's a upgraded stock, try to find wiring diagrams for those specific systems. Pull it all apart, snip wires and mark them. Then when you get aftermarket stuff, just wire it up properly off the wires you marked.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Do you just want to change the stock radio, or are you running new speakers/wires/amps too?

Edit: if you want to change the stock radio only, then there is a plug and play harness. It's the Metra 70-5519 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21546_Metra-70-5519.html

If you don't want to maintain the Mach system, and intend to run new speakers/wires/amps, then just run new dedicated power and grounds for the head unit, with the stock harnesses taped and tucked away, with the radio fuse pulled since there's no reason to have power going to a harness that isn't used.

From what i read the ford mach 1 system in her car uses 6 ohm speakers powered by the amps and her four tweeters are powered off her factory HU that has built in cross overs for the tweeters.

I have seen the harness and read you still have to do wiring modifacations. Because the tweeters are powered from the factory HU. im just looking to swap out her HU it can be done and retain factory amps and speakers. Just asking if anyone has done one in a 99-04 mustang with the 460 mach 1 system.

If it's a upgraded stock, try to find wiring diagrams for those specific systems. Pull it all apart, snip wires and mark them. Then when you get aftermarket stuff, just wire it up properly off the wires you marked.

This is a horrible idea.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Looks like you only run into problems if you want to upgrade the speakers, head unit only install seems to be just like any other, with the purchase of the right harness of course.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Just swapping out the head unit isn't hard at all.. as long as you have the proper wiring harness it's the easiest thing to change in the system... I had the "pleasure" of putting a system in my friends 04 mustang... The rest of the system was a bitch

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_103000/Vehicle-specific-Wiring-Harnesses.html?tp=2977#&avf=Y

Both harnesses in that link are needed. The Metra harness allows you to replace the factory radio, the axxess harness drops your 12v accessory turn-on down to 5v to eliminate the pop that comes with upgrading the mustang radio. Buy it. Be done with it. Easy plug and play. I'm sure that enough people complained about not being able to change HU's without cutting and things and had issues with popping that the two top companies in replacement harnesses found fixes.

PAC has a harness too, just not the 12v-5v stepdown

According to this, it's an all or nothing upgrade:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fzXwKDA5vr7/learn/2001-2004-ford-mustang.html

All or nothing if you want to change the speakers, meaning you have to use aftermarket amps to do so.

I've you read the article again it says that it's no problem at all just to change the headunit.

Archived