Floating ground / neutral is dangerous on external AC power because the ground that you are standing on is also tied to the ground and neutral of the source. If the ground on a machine is floating and a hot leg touches it, then the frame becomes energized and you get electrocuted when you touch it because you are standing on the ground that is tied to the neutral source and you complete the circuit. If the ground is not floating and the hot leg touches it then the breaker will trip and you don't get shocked. In a car this is not the case if the power is not an external supply. The HV should float as Snow Drifter said so if only one side touches ground it won't be a short.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

They told me to expect 300amp burst rating from each 60k. Which Scottie said 1 d3400 could handle a single 300amp burst and it would bring it down to 10.5v which is fine for competition only.

So each 60k will pull 300 amps. And you have 3? Which is 900 amps.

So the d3400 will shit itself, right?

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

If in a crash, the ground gets severed, it'll have a pretty significant voltage potential, but I don't see this being any different than if a ground got unhooked from the chassis in a crash. I do know that with the floating ground system, even if the positive wire gets pinched in the frame it's a non issue as there's no circuit being completed. The only way to short it out would be to pinch both power and ground in the frame or otherwise make them contact each other.

FWIW all current mass produced hybrid and electric vehicles have their own floating ground for the high voltage stuff.

Only snag I can think of with this setup would be the RCA sheath acting as a ground between the head unit and your amps. Perhaps you could look into a ground loop isolator? Inside is a transformer to pass along the signal, there's no actual electrical connection between the input and output. Theoretically anyway.. double check with a multi meter before installing.

76338.jpg

They told me to expect 300amp burst rating from each 60k. Which Scottie said 1 d3400 could handle a single 300amp burst and it would bring it down to 10.5v which is fine for competition only.

So each 60k will pull 300 amps. And you have 3? Which is 900 amps.

So the d3400 will shit itself, right?

I will never be pulling full power out of each amp because I will reach thermal limits first.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy

Make sure the cable on your batteries is rated for the voltage. Regular car audio cable has questionable insulation to begin with.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

If in a crash, the ground gets severed, it'll have a pretty significant voltage potential, but I don't see this being any different than if a ground got unhooked from the chassis in a crash. I do know that with the floating ground system, even if the positive wire gets pinched in the frame it's a non issue as there's no circuit being completed. The only way to short it out would be to pinch both power and ground in the frame or otherwise make them contact each other.

FWIW all current mass produced hybrid and electric vehicles have their own floating ground for the high voltage stuff.

Only snag I can think of with this setup would be the RCA sheath acting as a ground between the head unit and your amps. Perhaps you could look into a ground loop isolator? Inside is a transformer to pass along the signal, there's no actual electrical connection between the input and output. Theoretically anyway.. double check with a multi meter before installing.

76338.jpg

Ok, great info, I will look into this.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Make sure the cable on your batteries is rated for the voltage. Regular car audio cable has questionable insulation to begin with.

The cables are labeled. "NEMA Class K +105/-40C"

I'm not sure what that means, but it's 3/0 wire from ElectronBeam.com

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

http://www.nationalwire.com/pdf/NEMA-HP4-TYPE-K.pdf

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

http://www.nationalwire.com/pdf/NEMA-HP4-TYPE-K.pdf

3/0 isn't listed there, I hope I'll be ok.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

It's the insulation rating you're concerned about. The wire you have is fine don't sweat it

Archived