how to determin speaker wire ga for RMS ?

So my sub wire is 12ga OFC sky high wire, run is less then 4 feet from box to 1500 watt amp... Just bought a twisted sounds 2.8k... With this higher output amp would i need bigger speaker wire or is 12ga enough ? My speaker terminals will accept 8ga and im gonna assume the 2.8k has 8ga outputs... Should i buy 8ga wire ? Or is 12ga OFC acceptable for this power.... Where is the "cut off" for when you need to upgrade your speaker wire ?

Do you have each sub run back to the amp individually or do you have one pair of wires used for both subs?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Nice calculator, but I wish I knew more to fill it out correctly...I know something isn't right. The results I got said I'm pushing the limits of my 8ga leads to my subs. I remember looking at a chart a while back(couple years maybe) that made me feel comfortable with 8ga wire to each of my subs with a 7500 on each. I was going to do 4ga but had figured out back then that I wasn't even close to needing it.

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

Never found this calc, thanks Broke, gonna play with that a bit at work tonight.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Just set it at 0,

For what you're wanting to know it's irrelevant anyways.

Changing that number has no impact on how much power the wire can supply.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived