Second Skin Audio

Aero Ports Vs Slot Ports

I love my precision ports!! :wub:

Prolly been posted b4 buts whats a good aero tuning site or any info about it?

Right on their site they have the specs and a calculator for figuring tuning

http://www.psp-inc.com/psp-inc.com/public_..._calculator.cgi

http://www.psp-inc.com/

You can buy them from the site I think or partsexpress.com

Sorry for butting in, but i was told by someone at Ass-pen sound that Aero ports are for better air velocity and are not worth the effort to mess with them.. If that isnt the case, i would like to build an enclosure with aero ports..

That dont make too much sense to me!

What effort do you have to mess with?

They have their own calculator for tuning so you dont need a paper/pencil/calculator/brain/etc.

Each port has 5 pieces, 1 big flair that is screwed to the box, 1 small flair that is inside the box and also the cutout diameter(so just trace it on the box where you want your port and cut), 1 pvc tube which gets cut to length based on tuning (just like a normal port). and 2 rings that hold the flairs to the tube (you can duct tape the rings on until you found your desired tuning then glue the ports together).

Advantages of the ports?

~As you said better air velocity, but what does that mean? A smoother flow of air exiting your box REDUCING port noise.

~A gain of 3 db if used properly over a slot port.

~Quick and easy swap outs for daily/spl setups (where as in a slot port you would have to make a removable port, or tear your box apart and report it).

~Less displacement inside the box.

~Cleaner look then lets say a piece of normal pvc pipe, or a unfinished slot port that is just sprayed black.

~The ability to just buy the needed parts seperatly and not have to keep buying a whole new port setup.

Cons of the ports?

~Mainly cost, where you may have to buy 2-4 ports for your needed square inches of port, where as wood is much cheaper.

Hmm thats the only con I can think of at the moment, so I guess that must mean its not worth the effort to mess with?

However, I think if you are walling off a vehicle, the aero/precision ports would not be worth it cost wise

Posted Image

Posted Image

I believe that you don't need as much square inches of port if you use aero ports

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

We still have to run one aeroport per sub, right? I am planning a wall for eight 12"s, so I would need eight aeroports in it??? My plan calls for one 3" diameter by 5" long aeroport per sub for a 39 hz tune, is it possible to run less than 8 aeroports for the same 39 hz, or should I just convert the measurement over to a slot port, and save the money?

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

personally, i would not spend an extra $100+ on ports

ive heard all port configs (square, slot, aero) and i prefer slot so long as edges are rounded and theres enough surface area

you will need (1) 4" per sub minimum, and thats only 12.56sqin per sub (which is ok if u going by the idea that u need less surface area, but there havent been side by side tests to prove this)

building two separate boxes might even be cheaper than one with aeroports

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

personally, i would not spend an extra $100+ on ports

Me either.. Thats why I said for a wall Id axe the aero port ideas..

You may need 2 ports per sub, you may need one. It depends on how many square inches of port you need, if you dont have enough port volume or two much your stereo will not perform to its optimum which will do bad on the meter.

Wall = slot ports ftw.

I think I may have seen one wall in my life with aeros being used.

right now (because im selling my truck) i have a prefab box with 2 aero ports and loaded with a P2 12.

sounds better than ANY prefab slot ported box that ive ever heard.

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

right now (because im selling my truck) i have a prefab box with 2 aero ports and loaded with a P2 12.

sounds better than ANY prefab slot ported box that ive ever heard.

thats because its probably a better built and designed prefab than most prefab slots.... you got lucky :)

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

Archived