Sonic Electronix

Impedance rise, not your typical question

If each coil is disapaiting less heat, wouldn't that be less heat total?

Eh, good point. Guess it definitely can't be dissipating less heat then. I stand by my point and shitty MSpaint diagram.

No matter how you slice it, if your amp is putting out 2500w into 1ohm, those subs are dissipating almost all of it as heat not matter how it's wired (a 90db/W/M speaker turns only 0.63% of the electrical power into acoustical power). The diagram shows the only difference between different wiring schemes if wired traditionally. You can make either method work like either circuit shown though.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

If it were a purely resistive load then it wouldn't matter. With impedance its different as seen in the results from the different tests. The reactance of the coils in a particular driver is the difference.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

maybe think of this as a physical problem when you have the coils seriesed they are basically one longer coil. With parallel being 2 short coils next to each other.

You would probably have more heat dissipation in the one with more surface area, which would be the seriesed coils

1349713160_rte.png

If it were a purely resistive load then it wouldn't matter. With impedance its different as seen in the results from the different tests. The reactance of the coils in a particular driver is the difference.

Yes an electrical model of a speaker is an awful lot more complicated than my diagram, but all coils should be equally influenced by the magnet unless your box is loading the woofers differently, in which case you have other problems.

If you had 4 SVC 1ohm subs, would you still say it mattered which 2 were in parallel?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

maybe think of this as a physical problem when you have the coils seriesed they are basically one longer coil. With parallel being 2 short coils next to each other.

You would probably have more heat dissipation in the one with more surface area, which would be the seriesed coils

You do not have more heat dissipation area. The coil is a fixed surface area no matter how you wire it. As said in the video, the coils are wound together. You could make a SVC sub that's the same as either way you wire a dual coil. Use a piece of wire of the same area and total length for series, or a piece of wire double the area, and the length of one coil for parallel. It'll behave exactly the same as it's DVC counterpart. Multiple coils simply gives you more flexibility with your system.

If you had 4 svc it wouldn't matter. The difference is the amount of inductance in the driver vs out of the driver. The impedance changes with frequency due to the influence of the box and port and cabin resonant frequencies.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

If you had 4 svc it wouldn't matter. The difference is the amount of inductance in the driver vs out of the driver. The impedance changes with frequency due to the influence of the box and port and cabin resonant frequencies.

Refer to my diagram. No matter how you wire it it's going through the same combination of coils and magnets, inside the same box, with the same port, that is loading both woofers equally.

I shall add to that a quote from Dan Wiggins (Adire Audio) regarding TS parameter changes from wiring of DVC subs:

"Re, Le, and BL all change as you swap wiring modes. However, the changes are complementary, so the effective Qes (and thus Qts) of the driver stays the same.

In short, don't sweat it - it changes, but the changes cancel each other out"

The drivers specs do not change from different wiring. Same goes for 2 identical woofers wired together in the same box. Same goes for 2 DVC subs in the same box.

Edit: also, would you say it mattered for a quad coil sub, which 2 coils get put in parallel?

Refer to my diagram. No matter how you wire it it's going through the same combination of coils and magnets, inside the same box, with the same port, that is loading both woofers equally.

I shall add to that a quote from Dan Wiggins (Adire Audio) regarding TS parameter changes from wiring of DVC subs:

"Re, Le, and BL all change as you swap wiring modes. However, the changes are complementary, so the effective Qes (and thus Qts) of the driver stays the same.

The drivers specs do not change from different wiring. Same goes for 2 identical woofers wired together in the same box. Same goes for 2 DVC subs in the same box.

Edit: also, would you say it mattered for a quad coil sub, which 2 coils get put in parallel?

Care to enlighten me as to my results then? Only change done was from Series/Parallel to Parallel/Series and the impedance rise at the same frequency, same box, same ports, same volume and all settings was higher.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

Care to enlighten me as to my results then? Only change done was from Series/Parallel to Parallel/Series and the impedance rise at the same frequency, same box, same ports, same volume and all settings was higher.

Well for a start your tests contradict the video. This does not bode well for the claim of there being a difference.

Depending on how exactly you did it, it's quite possible that you had less wire resistance from wiring the coils in series, subs in parallel. If you run each coil to the amp with it's own pair of wires though, I'm not sure.

But either way, if you are getting the completely opposite result from that in the video then best that can be got from this is "it depends" and anyone interested should try both methods in their own system.

Archived