Second Skin Audio

An experiment in box materials

Isn't the whole point of using MDF is because it has enough deflection to be essentially an acoustically dead material?

A non issue outside of "full range" systems. The larger benefit being cost (compared to high grade ply) and that it sculpts really easily if you're trying to sand or shape with a router. It is VERY nice in that regard.

you know, i think its great you are doing all this research. People who appeciate it appreciate it. nice work, but it makes me so mad that so many idjuts will just go buy some shitty prefab regardless.

Agreed, many thanks, OP. Please PM me your mailing address and I'll send you something nice. I've always wanted to do this but never wanted to drop the money into 5 or 6 sheets of different materials. I really appreciate that you are taking the time and putting out the money to get this information recorded.

As far as shitty prefabs, keep in mind that for the vast majority of car audio consumers 500W on a couple best buy 10s is loud and for them prefab is cheap, easy, and adequate. China can knock together a prefab single 12 sealed box carpet and ship it for cheaper than we can buy the wood, screws, and glue to build a proper 12" ported box. It is what it is, and the race to zero has driven the car audio industry since the very early days.

Now I'm waiting for all the know-it-alls who were telling me what a fool I was to use OSB 2 years ago because MDF had a higher denisty it was better. Oh well, that's why I don't listen to forum gurus but guys I know who have real world testing experience.

Speaking of which, OP might try to use particle board if you can get your hands on a slice. From the accounts of someone I know has tested identical boxes particle board + resin delivers the same numbers as MDF + resin. Without resin particle board is awful, but if you're going to soak the box either way, you can save a bit on materials.

We're hungry for more data Triticum!

As promised, here is my thread on bracing: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/206664-implementing-bracing/

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

For all you folks in Houston... Mason's Mill on the NW side has literally every type of wood you can imagine. Baltic Birch Grade B/BB 5'x5' for $30 and 4'x8' for $50. Im buying some tmrw and will reply with more info. There seems to be a lot of guys from Houston or Texas in general in this forum.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

For all you folks in Houston... Mason's Mill on the NW side has literally every type of wood you can imagine. Baltic Birch Grade B/BB 5'x5' for $30 and 4'x8' for $50. Im buying some tmrw and will reply with more info. There seems to be a lot of guys from Houston or Texas in general in this forum.

That's a really awesome price on baltic birch plywood. I have to pay about $60 for a 5'x5' sheet where I'm at.

If you get some I'd love to see some pictures of it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

That's a really awesome price on baltic birch plywood. I have to pay about $60 for a 5'x5' sheet where I'm at.

If you get some I'd love to see some pictures of it.

B/BB 5' x 5' $43 3/4". The guy mustve quoted me 1/2" on the phone. Got 3 sheets, starting today. Cant seem to load pic from home but will load some later as i load up a bunch of pics and start my build thread.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived