[Final Update 6/6] 99 S-10 Blazer Build - Lots of setups

• 3 weeks later...

Finally ready to get to work. Finished the semester and am on break until the 4th of January.

Got my garage all set up to go. About 30 Fahrenheit outside, so I got a space heater and my lighting:

CQ61ZMVl.jpg

(Pictured in the back is my mom's 2003 Denali, sitting on 20" rims with a 15" RE Audio SE-X subwoofer in a prefab ported box with a "1500w" SSL amp).

Pulled out the rear seats, removed my old radio (I picked up an 80-PRS to replace it), and was going to remove the front seats, but I didn't have a Torx 47. Just ordered one to be picked up at Sears tomorrow.

72BzML5l.jpg

Tomorrow's goal will be to remove the front seats, carpet, and headliner.

Potentially start to deaden everything.

Got a couple more hours in today.

With the new Torx bits I was able to get the passenger seat out, but the driver seat ended up breaking my bit (Craftsmen too!).

Decided I'll just not deaden the floor (I probably don't have enough anyways), and I'll run the wire inside. It won't look great, but I don't mind.

8UeVI38l.jpg

Ended up getting the headliner all taken out:

VwBKVxll.jpg

JuvsDlBl.jpg

Instead of using foam between the bracers, I grabbed some rubber I had lying around, and will be stacking it in there instead:

Y7AOMcNl.jpg

Tomorrow's goal will be to get all the rubber between the bracing, and get the roof deadened.

Dedicated tonight to getting the deadening down.

Turned up my heater till it had the whole garage at 80 Farenheit, then went at it.

Hatch:

01hukKGl.jpg

Roof:

AMJmQ8il.jpg

Doors:

c05BUqCl.jpg

WKTOQSKl.jpg

Got between 2-3 layers everywhere on the roof, and 1 layer on doors/hatch. I still have about half of the deadener I started with. Is there any reason to go back and add more to the doors and hatch?

My main concern was just stopping roof flex, because that was the worst part of my last system.

Then I took a look at the old and new door speakers (Kenwood KFC-1665s vs SoundQubed MR6.5):

HLp5uO0l.jpg

eSfTjnWl.jpg

I still have to decide how to fit those in, since they clearly are deeper than stock.

1) Make MDF rings, put 1 speaker in each of 4 doors

2) Learn to fiberglass, put 2 speakers in each of the front doors

3) Make basically a wall of sound to sit behind the rear seats

I like option 1, its quick and simple. Option 2 is always an option should #1 not work out. I wouldnt use Option 3, personally, unless there was no other way. Keep it up!

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I like option 1, its quick and simple. Option 2 is always an option should #1 not work out. I wouldnt use Option 3, personally, unless there was no other way. Keep it up!

That's what I was thinking. Option 3 is very appealing because it's easiest, but definitely wouldn't look professional or sound as good lol.

Since the OEM speaker boxes are held in with rivets, I'm thinking I'll pop them out, put some MDF wood under them, then bolt them back to the door. It should still be pretty easy, while looking and sounding good.

I think its cool that your mom took pictures of you inside the box, building it. I like to see families being involved in a car stereo build. With the exception of my brother, there was a serious anti-stereo backlash in my family. Not sure why, cuz this is probably the best hobby ever. Keep up the good work on your build....

Haha yeah. My dad hates car audio from the perspective of destroying cars, but loves learning about it from mechanical and physical standings. So he's always happy to help me.
Mom likes to just come out with her iPad and take pics, and go "oh my god I can't believe you're doing this".
My sister is always happy to try and attempt hair tricks, and she likes going to shows. She's actually trying to push me to compete lol.

I just drilled extra holes around the oem speaker mount, and screwed some screws in to keep it tight all the way around.

And I dont think the MDF ring will work in the back doors. speaker grill isnt circular like the front. may be able to cut away the plastic on the inside with a dremel or something.

Would you put a set of super tweets in the back doors too? Im trying to figure out where to mount a super tweet in each back door, but havent thought of anything yet

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

tuned

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived