94 Suzuki Sidekick JLX (Daughters first vehicle, AGM & big 3 done)

No real updates on builds. I did pull out a old HU to bench test all these speakers i have lying around. It was fun to check out how each one sounded.

IMG_2699_zpsrkupcmtd.jpg

The 4" Focals sounded best, then the JBL's. The Faital Pros where good but you could tell they would need some tuning. RF punch 4" where my least favorite but after the Focal & JBL the bar was set high. The Prime 6.5 sounded really nice, i was really surprised! CT Sounds where my least favorite, they would need tuning as well.

Daughters new HU, Picked it up off Amazon for $105. Hands free calling, 3 RCA pre-outs and some decent tuning capabilities.

IMG_2700_zpsacbjfjiy.jpg

I got the tool cart for Christmas that i am loading up for car audio installs. Be nice to have most everything right at hand. Parents gave it to and it one o my favorite gifts. To the right is my new router and stand. Cant wait to start learning to fab shit up with it.

IMG_2701_zpstqtyo3le.jpg

IMG_2702_zpsutyie7d8.jpg

Anyway, a few more small items coming, more Fast rings, deadening, wire harness adapter, tessa tape. So hopefully in a few or two at the most. I know i do slow work, i am a over thinking lately and slow on being a doer! 

Would like to hear a vid of all them playing. That would be cool. So what about each made it better than the other? Good mids, highs ect...

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

21 minutes ago, oldsoundguy said:

Would like to hear a vid of all them playing. That would be cool. So what about each made it better than the other? Good mids, highs ect...

The Focals are just clean and clear as fuck. Almost dont need the tweeters.

The JBL's are the total package. Super clean and responsive. Tweeter isn't too bright, can get into the lower range without sounding bad. 3 ohm speaker that can take a peak of 105 watts.

The RF just dont sound as nature, could be the cone material, not sure. it gets into lower frequency's well just missing a great sound like the other 2.

The Faital Pros where ok as well i just think they would need tunning to sound better.

The RF 6.5's impressed me with there clearity on low power and how low they got and sounded ok doing it.

CT Sounds just had a muddy sound to them, wasn't impressed. Pretty sure i will go RF for midbass if it wil fit.

Mind you the HU is a Pioneer bottom end HU you can get for $50. I wil have to pull the dd-1 out and see what the high levels distort at. I wasn't going past 45/60 so i should have been close to distortion free. speakers sounded good at those volumes and was trying to keep the parameters the same with a flat eq, loud off, ect.

I learned about beaming and off axis 45 degrees. the differences in sound and affect. This will help me in the future to design systems with even better SQ. 

Still would like to hear the difference without having to buy them all. LOL I started searching for the JBLs damn it. Stop me please.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

1 hour ago, oldsoundguy said:

Still would like to hear the difference without having to buy them all. LOL I started searching for the JBLs damn it. Stop me please.

Well i hooked up the CT Sounds crossover and tweeter and it sounds pretty good on HU power. Its hard to describe, each speaker has its pro & cons. The higher end ones sound much better out of the box. I have noticed the importance of how driver size effects sound direction. The smaller the driver the more beaming happen and on axis you want to be to hear it better. The 5.25 doesn't beam and so you hear it good off axis as well and have a lower midrange it can reach. It fun being to mess with it. I have played Eagles Greatest Hits and DIO Holy Diver for demo music on the CT 5.25 with tweeter & crossover hooked up. Sounds good on both. I will clean the work station up tomorrow and make a video for fun.

33 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

Well i hooked up the CT Sounds crossover and tweeter and it sounds pretty good on HU power. Its hard to describe, each speaker has its pro & cons. The higher end ones sound much better out of the box. I have noticed the importance of how driver size effects sound direction. The smaller the driver the more beaming happen and on axis you want to be to hear it better. The 5.25 doesn't beam and so you hear it good off axis as well and have a lower midrange it can reach. It fun being to mess with it. I have played Eagles Greatest Hits and DIO Holy Diver for demo music on the CT 5.25 with tweeter & crossover hooked up. Sounds good on both. I will clean the work station up tomorrow and make a video for fun.

Cool thanks for making the vid. Cant wait.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

I would be interested to see how much of a difference it would make to have the drivers in an enclosure. Like how much different will they sound installed in a vehicle?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

9 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

No real updates on builds. I did pull out a old HU to bench test all these speakers i have lying around. It was fun to check out how each one sounded.

IMG_2699_zpsrkupcmtd.jpg

The 4" Focals sounded best, then the JBL's. The Faital Pros where good but you could tell they would need some tuning. RF punch 4" where my least favorite but after the Focal & JBL the bar was set high. The Prime 6.5 sounded really nice, i was really surprised! CT Sounds where my least favorite, they would need tuning as well.

Daughters new HU, Picked it up off Amazon for $105. Hands free calling, 3 RCA pre-outs and some decent tuning capabilities.

IMG_2700_zpsacbjfjiy.jpg

I got the tool cart for Christmas that i am loading up for car audio installs. Be nice to have most everything right at hand. Parents gave it to and it one o my favorite gifts. To the right is my new router and stand. Cant wait to start learning to fab shit up with it.

IMG_2701_zpstqtyo3le.jpg

IMG_2702_zpsutyie7d8.jpg

Anyway, a few more small items coming, more Fast rings, deadening, wire harness adapter, tessa tape. So hopefully in a few or two at the most. I know i do slow work, i am a over thinking lately and slow on being a doer! 

Nice man! New tools are always good! 

Archived