Bought a NEWER Bimmer :D

What's up guys! I've been a while since I posted any sort of build.

Last week my 96 328i was acting up. The driver's side door striker's trigger/sensor was going out.

The striker has a micro-switch that raises and lowers the window when the doors open since these cars have no upper door window frames. After 2 days of this. I was able to fix it after watching a youtube video. Still, with my driver's seat leather left bolster now cracked,ripped, and the foam is coming out I thought it might be time to buy a newer car.

I've been searching for the past month for a 3 Series Convertible to replace the Jimmy. I like having 2 cars at all times. "Just in case!".

So after much thought I took the plunge and purchased a 05 645ci convertible.

She is not my daily driver. She's my weekend only vehicle. I believe I put less than 100 mi. on her so far.

20161122_105150_zpsvneq6gs2.jpg

The interior is black and rip free.

20161130_221847_zpsu1xcmags.jpg

The stock Harmon Kardon system is nice but lacks bass. There's no way to put an aftermarket radio since it's all tied into the Nav. system. SMH The stock EQ's lowest setting is 100Hz. This tells me the front and rear speakers maybe crossed over from the radio or the stock amp in the vehicle. How am I going to hook up a signal to run to a sub amp???

I do want to add a little thump though. I was able to pick up a pair of mint JL 10W3V3-2 for $70 at..... you guessed it..... a pawn shop. I love when people do not know what they are selling. Here is what I invision. Bass coming through the ski-port like my white Bimmer. Plexi-glass to view the subs like Steve Meade did with that Lexus. I only have about 10.5" height, about 31" width, and about 20" depth to work with so the subs will have to be tilted. Sealed they take 0.67 cu. ft per sub. I should be fine with these measurements and still have some room in the trunk for actual luggage and groceries without worrying about anything hitting the subs.

20161130_221801_zpssxp1ylb5.jpg

I'll need at least 700W @ 1 or 4 Ohm. I have a Crossfire VR 602 I can run @ 4 Ohms, but it's too big. I have a VR 402 that can do the job with 400w @ 4 Ohm RMS rated at 12.5V. Will probably see 450W easily at 13.8V. I was thinking abut mounting the amp upright in the right hand corner of the trunk. THe color of the subs and amp match the car pretty much perfectly.

20161130_223740_zpsrftfaqxd.jpg

This is what I also invision.

Deep dish rears. I have 19's on it now. 245 fronts, 285 rears. I do not want to go higher than 19's since I like the 40 series thickness. Not a fan of rubber band tires.

20161127_143438_zpspwlsq0ya.jpg

Well, that's my latest toy!

-Frank

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reasoning for buying a newer car at all. A switch going bad? Replace switch, easy day. Ripped seat? Get a new seat or have that one reupholstered.... But to each his own. I'll keep an eye out for the updates all the same though.

I'll be in ge market for a new toy soon and I've always liked the e60 BMW. I hear that at around 100k miles they do require major mantainence, which scares me a bit. Congrats on your new toy brother.

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

I dig it man! Someone here at work has a white one otherwise identicle to that. Sweet ride for sure

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reasoning for buying a newer car at all. A switch going bad? Replace switch, easy day. Ripped seat? Get a new seat or have that one reupholstered.... But to each his own. I'll keep an eye out for the updates all the same though.

I gave the lowered Jimmy to Lisa's son. This left me with a crotch rocket and a car. The camaro is coming along slowly. She was going to be my 2nd car originally. I had to replace the "new" balance shaft from GM because it may have been dropped during shipping causing it to be out of round. I picked up a new one today. Hopefully it will be in spec. Tonight I tried installing the LS6 #90 springs that go with the ZZP Performance GT1 cam. Well I may have to machine the heads to get the springs to work. Spring diameter is 0.0295" smaller than stock!!! 0.8750"(Stock Camaro spring) vs. 0.8455"(LS6) Yeah, I'm this close but really getting fed up with the Camaro build and throwing in the towel. Anyone want a 3.8L cammed Camaro to finish? This should really go in the Camaro build.

My white bimmer on the exterior is brilliant and well maintained. On the inside, she needs a $1500-$2000 re-upholstery job to match the outside. She's my DD.

-Frank

I'll be in ge market for a new toy soon and I've always liked the e60 BMW. I hear that at around 100k miles they do require major mantainence, which scares me a bit. Congrats on your new toy brother.

Well, this is true. Most BMW enthusiasts will unload a Bimmer at 100k miles. If the e60 series has the n63 v8, which is the 4.8L V8, 550i model than yes it will have major maintenance issues. Mainly the valve seals. You'll have to read up on the 6 cyclnder e60 models. I have an 04 525i. Loved it. It was a manual and boy 0-80mph was a breeze. Sometimes I forgot how fast I was going!

If you can't do your own maintenance, I mean from rotor replacement, wheel bearings, FULL front and rear suspension, to valve cover gaskets......DO NOT BUY A BIMMER. Paying someone to do these things will cost a HELL OF ALOT. My rear wheel bearings cost $700 PER SIDE. I can do it in 3 hrs each side for the price of the bearing which is $78! And $300 worth of tools to do it. Again, if you can't see yourself doing it. DON'T BUY A BIMMER.

-Frank

i just bought a saz1000 that will be good for those subs.. i bought it on the black friday crap and the deal was good that i had forgot i was going to use the saz3500 at 4 ohms

if you want head me up and i will post a thread on the for sale section with pictures.. i should receive it in a few weeks

nice car you got though.. mine has been eating up the oil so i need to figure out where the oil is going.. i know it has no leaks so im guessing a head seal

i just bought a saz1000 that will be good for those subs.. i bought it on the black friday crap and the deal was good that i had forgot i was going to use the saz3500 at 4 ohms

if you want head me up and i will post a thread on the for sale section with pictures.. i should receive it in a few weeks

nice car you got though.. mine has been eating up the oil so i need to figure out where the oil is going.. i know it has no leaks so im guessing a head seal

Thanks!

As far as sub amp. I think I may stick with what I have right now. These cars, the electric malfunction code may be set if the voltage drops down too low. These 645ci have electronical issues. More of a headache than a problem- Per the forums.

If you see no leaks, it's the valve seals. I use 10W-40 in the white Bimmer. Right now I am using synthetic in the 645ci.

-Frank

Archived