Need help picking out a new router

Alright so right now as far as wifi our internet modem with built in wifi which is upstairs and we have a wifi extender downstairs right by the stairs. The problem where having is that downstairs the speed is at least 10Mbps or more slower then the wifi upstairs and so if I can I would like for the house to be able to have equal speed as far as wifi goes and i want some recommendations on routers that have good range on it can handle couple of devices that use wifi any help would be greatly appreciated

people who have bought from me Team Bassick (ALPINE) Purplehaze nidus

head unit sony dsx-s310btx
subs 2 12 incriminator audio king of bass
subs amp incriminator audio 20.1
mids/highs
mids/highs amp incriminator audio 6.4
equalizer clarion
crossover interfire
alternator 1 mechman 240amp
battery's xs power 1 d2100 2 d3100
sky high car audio 1/0 awg ofc wires

memphis car audio 1/0 ofc
xs power xs flex 4 awg

sky high car audio 8 gauge ofc

sky high car audio 12 gauge ofc

t spec rca

check out my building log http://www.stevemead...frey-build-log/

http://www.stevemead...d-other-things/

check out audio gear i have for sale
http://www.stevemead...51#entry1595151

Mechman_300x100px-2.jpg

3d7304fe.jpg

header3-1.gif

SkyHighCarAudio_zps27302c94.png

It depends on so much more than just range. The material the walls are made of, the adapters on the devices you are connecting, the router wireless spec that is used on your all in one, etc etc etc. A separate router/modem is all most always better than a all in one. The newest wireless specification out is 802.11AC find one with good reviews and in your price range. When you replace the all in one you will need a separate modem, more than likely.

I prefer TP-LINK but that's just me...

Under Construction

Your WiFi extender could be the problem. My extender is a AC1200 to match my AC1200 router, it could be bottlenecking your speeds if it's slower than what the router puts out.

Actually, 802.11AD is the newest of the wireless routers. Too bad like no devices have receivers for wireless AD speeds... If TP-Link is your thing, then this is their flagship:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Tri-Band-Gigabit-Router/dp/B01FRP2758

The Netgear R9000 looks pretty solid. If I were in the market for a new router right now, i'd probably get a Linksys EA9500 off eBay.

The newish Linksys AC3200 is said to be pretty bad ass as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JOXW3YE?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_2

One thing that you can do is download an app (i forgot the name) but it will search for other networks and other interference that is in the same range as your wifi, so you can change channels and sometimes gain a decent bit of speed and distance if your on a channel that is not already crowded.

One thing that drives me nuts is everyone seems to be focusing on faster wifi speeds in their routers and the distance just seems to stay the same, if not shrinking in coverage.

I dont care about if my wifi can transmit 433Mbps or 867Mbps or whatever claim to fame marketing number is being used, that is useless to me with my 65/5Mbps connection, and many many others. Hell even people with 100Mbps connection that is useless speeds over wifi unless your one of the lucky ones in the select few states with Google Fiber or Fios and have 6+ people pulling crazy bandwidth to their wireless phones which I just cant see. Now maybe if you are a power user sending insanely large video edits from one machine to another I can see it being worth while, but if thats the case I would just plug in a cat6 cable and be done.

My older style WRT54G router in the back of the house has a stronger signal than the newer WRT AC1900 router sitting 2 feet away from my phone, and my phone will almost always connect to that router that is farther away (unless I walk out on my front porch) than my phone picks up the closer router.

Got the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station and am quite happy with it, no drops or loss across all my devices, and after quite a few other lower end routers over a years time this has out lasted them all and never once needed a reset. I got mine on ebay refurbed for half the cost, but you will want to use an apple product with it as a windows based product is where all the bad reviews it have come from, i'm no apple fan, but i'm very pleased with this thing.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

The newish Linksys AC3200 is said to be pretty bad ass as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JOXW3YE?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_2

One thing that you can do is download an app (i forgot the name) but it will search for other networks and other interference that is in the same range as your wifi, so you can change channels and sometimes gain a decent bit of speed and distance if your on a channel that is not already crowded.

One thing that drives me nuts is everyone seems to be focusing on faster wifi speeds in their routers and the distance just seems to stay the same, if not shrinking in coverage.

I dont care about if my wifi can transmit 433Mbps or 867Mbps or whatever claim to fame marketing number is being used, that is useless to me with my 65/5Mbps connection, and many many others. Hell even people with 100Mbps connection that is useless speeds over wifi unless your one of the lucky ones in the select few states with Google Fiber or Fios and have 6+ people pulling crazy bandwidth to their wireless phones which I just cant see. Now maybe if you are a power user sending insanely large video edits from one machine to another I can see it being worth while, but if thats the case I would just plug in a cat6 cable and be done.

My older style WRT54G router in the back of the house has a stronger signal than the newer WRT AC1900 router sitting 2 feet away from my phone, and my phone will almost always connect to that router that is farther away (unless I walk out on my front porch) than my phone picks up the closer router.

Yeah, I'm one of those lucky ones that live in a Google Fiber area. I actually have 3 ISP's in my area that are able to get me gigabit speeds, the 4th ISP is Comcast and they cap out around 300mbps.

As for the newer routers having less coverage... I know how ya feel, I had gone through about 2 Linksys WRT54G back a while ago when wireless G was the top. They were solid routers, each of them lasted 5 years or more. Seems like newer routers are just not as strong and don't last as long. With my current router, I wasn't thinking about the placement when setting things up. I ended up putting the router in a terrible spot that only covered about 40% of the house cause it was down stairs and in one of the back corner of the house. When I switched from Consolidated Communications to Google Fiber, I got rid of the wireless router and had the tech install a second hard line upstairs, opposite of where the modem is in the house... So now I have 3 potential access points and 100% connectivity. The thing that used to drive me crazy is my phone showing full bars of WiFi reception and it's slower than molasses, but 1-2 bars on reception meant perfect connection.

We got Charter which is capped at 65/5, or dsl which is well in todays terms dial up.. LOL

I had a few 54g's but now down to 1 because I gave them to friends that needed just a basic router for the ports.

The one I have is in the back of my house in my bedroom sandwiched between my interior window and storm window.

So it stays nice and cold... Im amazed it still works!

The only reason I have it yet is to extend my wifi into my bedroom and garage for streaming tunes since I only get 1 bar with this ac1900.

lol the title said router I thought you meant router. I am looking for a router too and am leaning toward a Dewalt. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

lol the title said router I thought you meant router. I am looking for a router too and am leaning toward a Dewalt. lol

I have a thread in off topic about it

Archived