Second Skin Audio

Two JL 1000/1 amps on one Mayhem 15 Opinions?

jdjd

I am building a new system for a daily driver. Planing on one AA Mayhem 15 Dual 2 ohm coils.It will be in a slot ported box. I already own the JL 1000/1 amps and would like to hear from people who have actually ran two amps to one sub before. I have searched the internet and cant really seem to get a straight answer to pros and cons of this. I understand I will need the amps gain matched and and the settings the same. To me this would seem to be a great way to set this up especially since I already own the amps. The Mayhem has a higher RMS rating than what both amps can produce so this would be ideal, right? So anybody who has ACTUALLY done this please respond with your thoughts. Thanks...

depending on the age of the amps you may be able to sell them and buy one amp that is going to be 1ohm stable.  that would be your best bet.  you could always gain match your amps but when doing a daily set up one amp on a sub is better then two.  not to say it can't be done just more puzzle pieces to cause issues if not done correctly.  RMS rating being high doesn't matter if the gain is set properly.  running under or even over RMS shouldn't be an issue if you are pushing clean power.

You can get a second JL amp, and try to match the gain on each amp to each VC.

I would sell the current one and get a good 2500 watts amp for that sub. It may even be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Run your amp at 4 Ohms for now on your sub, until you sell it.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Meade himself has 2 2500 watt amps on each of his AA SMD 18s (one each coil, not strapped), and its been like that for a few years. But I would say you should run more clean power tha n your sub is rated, not less. Maybe trade up to an amp that can do a clean 3k.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

im running a pair of skar 1500's on one mayhem 10. its happy. 2k is ok to run but you would be better off with more power. Although, those JL amps probably do more than rated.

1 hour ago, strangeduck said:

im running a pair of skar 1500's on one mayhem 10. its happy. 2k is ok to run but you would be better off with more power. Although, those JL amps probably do more than rated.

my thoughts exactly on the 1000/1's.  depending on the model year.  i have heard the newer ones are not as underrated as the originals.  but still very solid amps.

Gain both with a DD1, then match output with a voltmeter before connecting the sub. Whichever amp has higher voltage, lower it to match the other.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived